JoeyZac

Who's in Great Bay?

Rate this topic

286 posts in this topic

49 mins ago, Vitalsigns said:

Looking at the weather yesterday I had planned on fishing the bay and bought fresh surf clams to drown, wind was blowing pretty steady from the west so with the tide going out it would have been good.  Hit the bay and the wind started to decrease so I went to the inlet and then beyond.  I ended up fishing a wreck in 65' and caught so many 12.5" seabass but they were just that so back they went, and ended up with 7 13" to 14" keepers and a mess of small tog.  Wind kicked up after about an hour from the east and the waves were hitting me beam on for a couple of very uncomfortable hours, ran out of bait and headed home for a nice fresh seabass meal.  It was great to finally get some meat!!

VS,

 

We were in the bay looking for blues and tried a number of spots but everything was dead.  Water temp at 53, down from 60 the week before and we had the wind chop which made it a bit wet.  Going to try early next week and then Friday!!!  How big is your boat?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was fishing from shore in Great Bay just before high tide this morning. Caught 3 descent blues on SP.   Others were catching on bunker.  Pretty much every cast.

Edited by Jimo95
Mispelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really glad for the pilot house on the way home, it was a wet ride for anyone w/o some type of enclosure, I really do like having windshield wipers!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surfinator said:

I was hoping to hear of the gators showing up by now

 

Gators are here in force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeyZac said:

 

Gators are here in force.

Cool!!! My son has some days to take off from school. He’s been saving them for the boofish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Knight771 said:

VS,

 

We were in the bay looking for blues and tried a number of spots but everything was dead.  Water temp at 53, down from 60 the week before and we had the wind chop which made it a bit wet.  Going to try early next week and then Friday!!!  How big is your boat?

 

Sorry I missed the question, I have a 23' Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vitalsigns said:

Sorry I missed the question, I have a 23' Miami.

No problem VS.  I have a 17 Mako and I hope to be out on Tuesday and, of course, Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headed to Cape Lookout today, we'll be staying in Atlantic Beach.  Good Luck this week, weather will probably be good since I'm leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, Vitalsigns said:

Headed to Cape Lookout today, we'll be staying in Atlantic Beach.  Good Luck this week, weather will probably be good since I'm leaving.

You're going to the Cape Hatteras area??  Cool.  Good luck with the fishing.  You won't need it, of course.  Catch em up.

 

Are you towing, going by sea or through the Chesapeake??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Cape Lookout is a bit further south near Beaufort, NC, pronounced "bofort" as we've been instructed by the locals.  If your into beach fishing this is probably the ultimate.  You take a ferry $80 round trip and they have cabins to rent, only some bird and turtle restrictions, less than Hatteras, you can fish all night if you choose and other than the lighthouse area it's all serious fisherman.  We just stayed for the day and it was not enough, I did not want to leave.  They have water taxis that bring people to the lighthouse and a giant 4wd truck that drops them off on the beach.  We are renting a 20' Sundance skiff tomorrow $300 for the day, 8 hours hopefully I'll catch something awesome.  Wish me luck, think cobia!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vitalsigns said:

Actually Cape Lookout is a bit further south near Beaufort, NC, pronounced "bofort" as we've been instructed by the locals.  If your into beach fishing this is probably the ultimate.  You take a ferry $80 round trip and they have cabins to rent, only some bird and turtle restrictions, less than Hatteras, you can fish all night if you choose and other than the lighthouse area it's all serious fisherman.  We just stayed for the day and it was not enough, I did not want to leave.  They have water taxis that bring people to the lighthouse and a giant 4wd truck that drops them off on the beach.  We are renting a 20' Sundance skiff tomorrow $300 for the day, 8 hours hopefully I'll catch something awesome.  Wish me luck, think cobia!!!

Get a mess of triggers.  Good eating.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rented a 20' Sundancer skiff today and of course the wind blew 15- 20 kt all day drift was too fast and I was only able to anchor in 1 spot with the pos anchor provided, 8ft  deep behind Shackleford Banks and only managed to get a bunch of small fish that I have no name for.  There were other spots but I really wanted to be away from everyone and relax, it really is a beautiful area, it turned into more of a cruise instead of a fishing trip.  Morehead City has some incredible yachts and we drove right by the Big Rock weigh station.  I have one more day and I'm going to try the inlet at Fort Macon maybe that will at least get me some Spanish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fluke opening

Fished Friday and Saturday. Friday was too windy, gave it an hour and quit. Back at it Saturday, fished 6 hours. 10 fish, one for the box. 

Had several 3 to 4 pound bluefish as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.