Jollywan

Live bait from surf?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Has anyone developed any good methods for live bait from the surf?    I find it to be really effective in the back bays for larger flounder and larger rockfish during the summer months.  Anyone do it or dabble with it?

I have tried it on a few occasions using a slide rig in the picture. Can be difficult to use on a sloping beach. Need a strong anchor point. Honestly I like fresh cut bait for drum , I think live bait attracts the  sharks quicker. I’ve tossed out live crabs as well but I think they work better chopped as well

9BBE73EB-3437-4E9D-9575-47EF74AB0E06.jpeg

Yes, I have used shrimp, mudminnows, and crabs. Shrimp are the least hardy and I would not recommend distance casting, if nothing is biting, you pull them out dead after a good cast.  With mudminnows and blue crabs, I have heaved them out, and retrieved them alive and thrown them out again.  The crabs have the tough shell that probably breaks the impact; mudminnows are just tough. 

I have tried pin fish too. Oddly, I think, the size of the pin fish makes the crash landing on the surf harder for them to survive.

One thing I was wondering is whether there is rig set-up that decreases the mortality of live bait.

40 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

Yeah the rig I posted a picture of. It slides down your line out as far as you can throw a hunk of lead

Is that a custom job?

Thanks for replies, I should probably try more snag and drop in general.

jim, also wondering exactly how that is deployed?

reading in the jersey thread seems a sharpie “floats fleas” with one split shot about 12 inches above a hook with 1-3 fleas on it.  He seems to consistently catch, anyone try this method on AI?   

6 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I have tried it on a few occasions using a slide rig in the picture. Can be difficult to use on a sloping beach. Need a strong anchor point. Honestly I like fresh cut bait for drum , I think live bait attracts the  sharks quicker. I’ve tossed out live crabs as well but I think they work better chopped as well

9BBE73EB-3437-4E9D-9575-47EF74AB0E06.jpeg

You use it like a trolly rig? I used trolly rigs years ago, They work great with live spot.

You can do it with snappers, killies, bergals, (porgies <--- hearty bait)

northern kingfish, mullet, peanut bunker it could be a little bigger. The

full size adult is snag and let them sit there. Easier said than done. ;)

I’m pretty sure they originated in Australia. My buddy from Hawaii sent them to me. They were hand made although you can buy some that are similar. Your line gets wrapped around the slinky looking part till it is in the center. It will slide out but not back until it hits a stop ring you tie on a foot or two above your weight. Just tie a leader on the swivel . You gotta have a strong anchor point for it to work well from my experience but I haven’t used them very much yet. It is a cool idea to get live baits out very far

I rarely bother carrying live bait with me (excepting crabs and clams). I do carry a cast net and bucket when fishing the beach with my truck. When bait are close enough to get with the net, 9/10 times something is chasing them there. In these situations I don't use any weight, at first, just a plain, appropriately sized  hook and lob the (insert whatever bait fish caught, here) just a few feet out from where the bait was netted.

Usually, I will feel a slight tug and reel in the bait, bitten in half by a small blue. Occasionally, very occasionally, it is stripers, big blues, trout, flounder, shark, etc. If it is small blues, I will immediately add some weight to the half bait and toss back out. I believe a lot of other species take advantage of the carnage left behind by roving snapper blues. I've found this to be a very successful technique.

While I have no doubt that  fish will take live bait out in the trough or bar, most of my live bait success has taken place from the first breaking wave back to dry beach. I would guess 99.5% of the time I've launched a live fish towards the horizon, it has proven unsuccessful for anything but shark. I now save the long cast stuff for cut bait or artificials.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, wok167 said:

While I have no doubt that  fish will take live bait out in the trough or bar, most of my live bait success has taken place from the first breaking wave back to dry beach. I would guess 99.5% of the time I've launched a live fish towards the horizon, it has proven unsuccessful for anything but shark. I now save the long cast stuff for cut bait or artificials.

That's because most of your bait fish are swimming in the first 10  or 20 yards.  There is a such thing as over casting the fish.

Most likely because of the small crabs and sandfleas.

Big fish come in to eat the smaller fish or the bait they are feeding on.

Small sand perch, spot and snapper along with fresh sandfleas all make a wonderful fresh bait to fish in close.  And yes the sharks come in too.

Easiest way I have found to get these small fish is to set the kid up with a dinachi rig tipped with fast acting blood worms.  She can fill a bucket pretty quick.

Summer time when the flounder move in 9 times out of 10 they are filled with sandfleas or small crabs.

I then live line then on a fishfinder rig with a bank sinker so it can roll around and move.  Some days I just go light enough that it can move with the current up and down the beach. 

Edited by DerrickT

10 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Easiest way I have found to get these small fish is to set the kid up with a dinachi rig tipped with fast acting blood worms.  She can fill a bucket pretty quick.

DerrickT, 

What's a dinachi rig?