Sea Robins

Rate this topic

HillTop

Question: 

Are sea robins part of the food chain for Stripers ?    Just wondering as there seems to be plenty of them around as I often hook them fishing deep but I don't recall ever seeing a specific a fly that imitates a sea robin ?

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

I suspect that they do it them, in many respects they do look a large sculpin or a small lobster. 

They are very good ambush feeders and can be annoying when they are around in good numbers. I have had a few times when I actually put on small blitzes.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Has anyone ever caught a really tiny robin, like under 8"? I haven't. You'd think with those huge mouths they'd take in any size hook. Just for fun I tried putting an orange squid skirt on a fluke bucktail. Worked, but not obviously different from white.

Two year ago I came across a good striper, 30lbs+, belly up, while kayak fishing. Had a large searobin stuck in its throat. Not sure if that was the cause or just it’s last meal being ejected. The striper was still alive, barely, sent twenty min trying to revive it. Didn’t happen. Gave it to a bait fisherman on the shore.

7 hours ago, Seadogg said:

I’ve caught bass with sea robins in them many times. One shallow cove I fish has lots of sea robins and it’s loaded with big bass in the spring. I’ve been tinkering with the idea of tying some robinesque flies. 

Seadogg,   if you do please post them here.

The last couple of years I've only fished an intermediate line but this year I'm thinking I want to try a sinker with crab flies and an experimental American eel fly I've been fooling with which got me to thinking about those pesty sea robins that keep bumping into my wading boots.

Would love to see what you come up with.

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

42 mins ago, HillTop said:

Seadogg,   if you do please post them here.

The last couple of years I've only fished an intermediate line but this year I'm thinking I want to try a sinker with crab flies and an experimental American eel fly I've been fooling with which got me to thinking about those pesty sea robins that keep bumping into my wading boots.

Would love to see what you come up with.

HT

Will do, man. Funny you mention crab flies. I’m gonna try them also at that cove. Seems like the type of place, maybe some mantis shrimp patterns too. I tied some crabs for the first time a few weeks ago for my trip to the keys (I’m currently sitting at the gate waiting to board). I also did some shrimpy bonefish flies too. Gonna try em both up here. 

0AD06B2B-05C7-4897-88DC-FC300BA405DB.jpeg

68AA631A-0806-490E-8DF7-8FFAE459A3C8.jpeg

9FD36F00-F517-4E56-98A0-74246A83E94A.jpeg

Seadogg,   Really nice ties.   Also interested in how you tied those, especially the body.   Brush material ?

HT

I used an EP fiber knockoff for the body, reverse tied in tight bunches, almost like spun deer hair. Gator Hair is the product. Got it at the Bear’s Den for $3 a pack! Identical to EP at $8 a pack. The legs and claws are dry fly hackles. Nice and thin, but stiff too. Look up “flats creature” on YouTube. That was what I based those on.