brandon7711

Tube 'n Worm - Leadcore or Egg Sinker

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Last year was the first year in a boat trolling tube n worm for stripers. Did very well in rivers where depths maxed out at 35' (all the way down to 4') using unweighted tubes with 40-50# braided fishing line. I am wondering if it would be beneficial to add an egg sinker (and what weight to add) for deeper water? Or would it be worth it to get a dedicated lead core setup? 

Ive seen many posts online that say the tube *needs* to be close to the bottom or close to where the stripers are, but clearly that isn't true from my experience. I'm just wondering if its worth the money to go lead core to get the tube down further, especially if it would help me catch bigger or more fish. Obviously adding a lead weight won't cost much and I'll definitely be trying it out this season.

Also, I did not have any luck fishing the ocean (Long Island Sound, CT side) with the tube and worm. Would getting my tube down deeper help in this situation? Fished a few times near reefs and shoreline/structure with no luck. 

Thanks! Sharing your experiences or adding your input would be very beneficial.

IMO >> Lead Core …>>>>>>>>>>  But times and conditions change.  When we used it commercially in Narragansett bay ……….. everything was different ………….  the tubes, the lines .braid didn,t exit ………   we used braid .no weight  &  some fishermen that fished deep water or hard running water used wire .

NOW .2019 .I wouldn,t even fish it .with the cost of worms  & the amount of scup & Sea bass    you would nuts & broke  if fishing in NB ><>

1 hour ago, clammer said:

IMO >> Lead Core …>>>>>>>>>>  But times and conditions change.  When we used it commercially in Narragansett bay ……….. everything was different ………….  the tubes, the lines .braid didn,t exit ………   we used braid .no weight  &  some fishermen that fished deep water or hard running water used wire .

NOW .2019 .I wouldn,t even fish it .with the cost of worms  & the amount of scup & Sea bass    you would nuts & broke  if fishing in NB ><>

you're saying you wouldn't even fish the tube and worm?

When I went fishing, it looked like I was outfishing the people next to me, and the tube and worm was the only thing I caught stripers on all year (if it isn't broke, don't fix it). Cost of sandworms isn't the issue for me. My dad and I would have 50+ fish days, so its worth it to us. Im just seeing if I'm missing out on more and bigger bites by having my lure near the surface (or not very deep subsurface) when the water gets 20+ feet deep

It was a deadly shallow water, slow speed (kayak) technique around structure for me. Trolling two rods I caught over 500 bass one season in LIS 10 years ago when bass were plentiful. My fishing all took place in 20’ or less. I remember guys using weighted keels when more depth was needed. BB swivels or bead chain may keep your line from twisting. 

We never used weights when I was young and trolled worms in the Sound, but we also trolled in water shallow enough that the boat would kiss stones if we weren't paying attention.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have success with no worm on thei end of the tube? Are there any good substitutes for worms or am I wasting my time dragging a tube and no worm? I've read that the scent of the worm is key but I'm not really convinced. I was thinking something like pork rind or a rubber trailer could give all the action the tube needs. 

Edited by valentine

I,ve seen guys use other trailers & they work ……… But going back to when we fished the tube , if you didn,t have your whole rig setup [just right] you may have caught a fish or two ………...but nothing like what was there & if you where fishing where you were trying to pull a fish a two out of a place the guy with something would get nothing.

That being said . about 7-.8 years ago we were going out front to sling eels on the reef , etc . the guy with me brought a two tube setups  & asked if we could try them before dark .    we setup on a ledge & he had somekind of scented worms ……….  we caught fish .all bluefish .did that mean  only bluefish were there or were there bass , but didn,t like these setups ///

& in my earlier post  when I said I wouldn,t fish them because of the amount of bottomfish ,,,add sea robins ,I,m sticking with that . there are so many of each species around . we are catching them by mistake on evey lure in reason & the same with bait ,I have seen a few sea bass caught of eels  .. again that was just my opinion / based on past experience ><

Brandon - try and find the book titled "The Definitive Tube and Worm Guide" by Charley Soares

Some outlets still sell it.  Author was a big time user of lead line.  Lots of tips/techniques.

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

We never used weights when I was young and trolled worms in the Sound, but we also trolled in water shallow enough that the boat would kiss stones if we weren't paying attention.

I did the same thing as a kid across the Sound from you. Used a Niantic or Cape Cod spinner, and a ball bearing swivel. Don’t ask how I learned about that.

11 mins ago, Shag said:

I did the same thing as a kid across the Sound from you. Used a Niantic or Cape Cod spinner, and a ball bearing swivel. Don’t ask how I learned about that.

We usually used the spinners, too.  Or took a #15 Tony Acetta spoon, looped one of the old JT Pin Bass Hooks through the slot where the spoon's hook came through (usually, we'd unscrew the spoon's hook first, attache the Pin Bass Hook, and then reattach the original hook to the spoon).  Once in a while, though, we did use tubes, which were known--and sold--as the "Gimmick" or "Royal Gimmick."

7 hours ago, valentine said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have success with no worm on thei end of the tube? Are there any good substitutes for worms or am I wasting my time dragging a tube and no worm? I've read that the scent of the worm is key but I'm not really convinced. I was thinking something like pork rind or a rubber trailer could give all the action the tube needs. 

I've caught fish with nothing on the tube after running out of sand worms, but that could've been because there was scent left behind. Gulp sand or blood worms will work but in my experience not quite as well. Regular nightcrawlers will also work, but again not as well as sand worms.

Edited by drmevo

Have you tried using the Berkley Power Bait version of the sand worm?  If you are running two lines, try one and a real one on the other, and see what happens.

As for leadcore, I hate running a few hundred yards of line to get down 20 feet.  But, if the fish are done there, what can you do?

30 mins ago, CWitek said:

We usually used the spinners, too.  Or took a #15 Tony Acetta spoon, looped one of the old JT Pin Bass Hooks through the slot where the spoon's hook came through (usually, we'd unscrew the spoon's hook first, attache the Pin Bass Hook, and then reattach the original hook to the spoon).  Once in a while, though, we did use tubes, which were known--and sold--as the "Gimmick" or "Royal Gimmick."

That pet spoon is a great idea. Nice wobble instead of that line twisting spin. We used to catch all summer in the Narrows of Conscience Bay. There was a hole just before the water got real shallow and gravely, so sometimes the motor would be bouncing on the bottom, just as the bait was hitting the ridge of the hole. Usually had a fish every pass, when the tide was right. Great memories.