fatbikerjoe

Japanese Mini-truck Kei Truck as a beach buggy?

20 posts in this topic

I can’t say enough good things about the mini trucks. I’ve got 2 Mitsubishi minicabs, one lifted 4”. Over 2” you need to drop K members for geometry and CV axels. These little trucks will run 65 on highway tires and drive just like a normal car feels. The Texas beaches are no match for this thing because of the power to weight ratio and with ATV tires they float across the sand. Different manufacturers have different positives to them as far suspension and parts availability. Feel free to ask any questions if your thinking about getting one of these awesome little trucks!!

I'd love to know how you would even get insurance on a mini truck with no crash ratings.  I see them everywhere here in Western Mass.  They have non DOT ATV tires and wheels. They look cool but only having 20 horsepower doesn't make up in cool factor.

19 hours ago, Corpslave said:

I'd love to know how you would even get insurance on a mini truck with no crash ratings.  I see them everywhere here in Western Mass.  They have non DOT ATV tires and wheels. They look cool but only having 20 horsepower doesn't make up in cool factor.

That's more or less what changed my mind.  Looks like a death trap on the road.  When you do get killed in it, they can just push the whole thing into the ground.

19 hours ago, Corpslave said:

10 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

That's more or less what changed my mind.  Looks like a death trap on the road.  When you do get killed in it, they can just push the whole thing into the ground.

You'd be surprised how fast and fun these things really are

Keep in mind they were built to be street driven in Japan

Most actually arrive in the US with DOT rubber, but are converted to off road tires because of their intended use.

There are a few methods to registering and insuring them, but it really depends on your state.

In Florida, you simply apply for a title

You can also register them as an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) just as you would register a Golf Cart for street use (must meet minimum DOT regulations......DOT tires, signals, seatbelts, wipers, etc.)

For me, I just slap one of my transporter tags on it whenever I want to take it out for a spin

And I can think of a lot more vehicles on the road that would be more of a death trap

Old kit cars, dune buggies, mini cars, etc.

Hell, I feel a 1000 times safer in my mini cab than I do in my 29 coupe lol

Now THAT's a death trap if there ever was one lol