JoeyZac

Gentlemen, Your 2019 New York Yankees

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

I hear you with Hick's. I would like to see both Bird and Voit stay up, especially if they are racking, and see Wade go down (I don't know how many options they have left with Wade) because DJ Lemieu is an obvious upgrade from Wade and he needs to play as much infield and at bats as he can. It's a different look with two 1st baseman on the rooster but if it doesn't play out then ship one down. I think it is worth a try to start the season with both. 

But who the hell am I...

Agree your good points 

4 hours ago, JoeC said:

So when it's final cut time, who will be smiling ......... Greg Bird or Luke Voit?

There's no way they can realistically start the season with both, unless they opt to go with only 12 pitchers.

As of right now, Voit is the one who has earned it, but it may come down to who has more Options.  The Columbus Shuttle is so active that remaining options comes into play.

MLB and the players union announced Thursday that they have come to an agreement on rules changes that include a three-batter minimum for pitchers, roster changes and the elimination of the August 21, waiver trade deadline. The majority of the changes are aimed towards speeding up the game.

The most dramatic on-field change would be the requirement that pitchers must face three hitters minimum or pitch to the end of an inning, which will not be implemented until 2020.

I have a few questions on this pitching change as , Does an injury to the pitcher apply to changing the pitcher before the 3 hitters have batted ? And does the batting team have the ability to pinch hit or pinch run a player  ?       time will tell 

I always hope the rules are "changed" to enforce the strike zone. I'll go so far as to say that ball & strikes should be called electronically. Of course, my son, the pitcher, disagrees. It took him years... but he finally learned to schmooze the umps.

I get the whole "human element" thing, but I'd rather see them get it right, even if it means and electronic ump for balls and strikes.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I always hope the rules are "changed" to enforce the strike zone. I'll go so far as to say that ball & strikes should be called electronically. Of course, my son, the pitcher, disagrees. It took him years... but he finally learned to schmooze the umps.

Sounds like alot of  fun those years ..I sure do miss them ball games . 

Just now, Hook I said:

Sounds like alot of  fun those years ..I sure do miss them ball games . 

He still pitches (31 yo) in what he calls the old man's league. Mostly ex-college players. I coached from T-Ball thru 19u AAU ball. Sometimes I find myself at a little league field when I'm out on my bicycle.

1 min ago, Joe said:

He still pitches (31 yo) in what he calls the old man's league. Mostly ex-college players. I coached from T-Ball thru 19u AAU ball. Sometimes I find myself at a little league field when I'm out on my bicycle.

What goes around comes around in life .... not that I would ever teach the game as coach or mgr again but if the grand kids ( 2 and 2 more coming this year )want some of Pop Pop’s help I still can build a pitchers mound in the back yard , a ex big league pitcher used to come and teach my pitchers every weekend before the season in my yard staggered times every 20 minutes. While I worked on game rules & defense & batting to the others .My theory was to prepare them for HS baseball team if they chose . 

12 hours ago, Hook I said:

MLB and the players union announced Thursday that they have come to an agreement on rules changes that include a three-batter minimum for pitchers, roster changes and the elimination of the August 21, waiver trade deadline. The majority of the changes are aimed towards speeding up the game.

The most dramatic on-field change would be the requirement that pitchers must face three hitters minimum or pitch to the end of an inning, which will not be implemented until 2020.

I have a few questions on this pitching change as , Does an injury to the pitcher apply to changing the pitcher before the 3 hitters have batted ? And does the batting team have the ability to pinch hit or pinch run a player  ?       time will tell 

Three hitter minimum is a bad change. Changes the whole essence of the game. I hope it gets overturned by 2020. Players Union is dysfunctional and weak at this time that  MLB had them by the short hairs and had to agree to these terms. Very bad rule change.

1 hour ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Three hitter minimum is a bad change. Changes the whole essence of the game. I hope it gets overturned by 2020. Players Union is dysfunctional and weak at this time that  MLB had them by the short hairs and had to agree to these terms. Very bad rule change.

Yes these new rules will only confuse the viewer . 

3 hours ago, Hook I said:

Yes these new rules will only confuse the viewer . 

It's just bad for the game. You shouldn't force a pitcher to pitch. I can't believe they agreed to that.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the length of the games.

Personally, I love it when the Sox/Yanks go 4 hours, have a score of 10-8, have a game that feels like a playoff game, game isn't over till after 11pm, and it's only May.

If you want to speed the game up, put in a pitch clock, and don't let batters step out of the box.  Eliminate the cat and mouse BS and make them pitch/hit NOW.

Don't like the "relief pitcher must face 3 batters or end and inning" rule.  At a minimum, along with that should be an equal and opposite rule that you can't use a pinch hitter against a reliever in the first 3 batters.  But now we're getting stupid..............

10 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Personally, I love it when the Sox/Yanks go 4 hours, have a score of 10-8, have a game that feels like a playoff game, game isn't over till after 11pm, and it's only May.

If you want to speed the game up, put in a pitch clock, and don't let batters step out of the box.  Eliminate the cat and mouse BS and make them pitch/hit NOW.

Don't like the "relief pitcher must face 3 batters or end and inning" rule.  At a minimum, along with that should be an equal and opposite rule that you can't use a pinch hitter against a reliever in the first 3 batters.  But now we're getting stupid..............

I don't either. So what, 20 minutes extra added on to a game, it changes everything about the game. Very surprised with the decision. I hope it gets overturned before 2020. We can't be the only ones to feel this way. I am shocked, and I hope this stupid decision gets some major attention and is reversed. 

21 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

I don't either. So what, 20 minutes extra added on to a game, it changes everything about the game. Very surprised with the decision. I hope it gets overturned before 2020. We can't be the only ones to feel this way. I am shocked, and I hope this stupid decision gets some major attention and is reversed. 

Here's a few suggestions for the dreamers who are coming up with these new rules ...

1. (my favorite) why not have mandatory benching of a player who makes an error that allows for a baserunner to be safe instead of out.  The need to pitch to extra batters surely makes for a longer game.  In fact, if a fielder does this more than 3 times during a season, BAN HIM FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!

2.  (just as outrageous as #1)  Little league is six innings, largely to appease parents who want to get home.  If it works in Little League, why not try six inning games in MLB.  Not only would we have shorter games, we might find more pitchers registering COMPLETE GAMES!

Sorry, I think I'm losing it.  This last change requiring pitchers MUST face at least 3 batters is going WAY TOO FAR.

11 mins ago, JoeC said:

Here's a few suggestions for the dreamers who are coming up with these new rules ...

1. (my favorite) why not have mandatory benching of a player who makes an error that allows for a baserunner to be safe instead of out.  The need to pitch to extra batters surely makes for a longer game.  In fact, if a fielder does this more than 3 times during a season, BAN HIM FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!

2.  (just as outrageous as #1)  Little league is six innings, largely to appease parents who want to get home.  If it works in Little League, why not try six inning games in MLB.  Not only would we have shorter games, we might find more pitchers registering COMPLETE GAMES!

Sorry, I think I'm losing it.  This last change requiring pitchers MUST face at least 3 batters is going WAY TOO FAR.

I hope there is a lot of push back and this push back gets legs Joe. It would be a sad day if it goes through. Also, if the Union, MLB and the owners don't get there s**t together another strike is inevitable. 

MLB and Las Vegas-- another bad idea!!