coolhandfluke

clamming help ?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

You can give me the aids anytime.  

:naughty:

I may go out agam before Saturday, you want I put some to the side for you?

On 2/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, coolhandfluke said:

I have never tried, but always think about doing it ?     I understand you have to get a license . not asking for your best spot, but does all beaches down the shore hold clams ?  do I look for a empty marsh at low tide ?

just looking for some pointers.

last summer my daughter calls me on the phone and asks if I want some clams . are they fresh and if so ,yes.  an hour later she shows up with 60 tasty clams that her and a girlfriend dug up in tuckerton for something to do. she didn't know or have a license. they used plastic toy shovels and a cooler to put them in.:eek:

This is a good resource:
http://www.scottsbt.com/misc/clam/clamming.htm

Here's where you can look at safe clamming areas:
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/bmw/nssphome.html

You gotta watch taking clams in late summer behind ocean city and sea isle,in August they get this black stain on them and I'm told it's due to the over flow from the waste treatment plant in ocean city.

Here on Long Island, NY i have a certified spot (closes May 15) that i can access from shore, The Steamers, Quahogs, and Razors are all in separate areas (Check into a Clam Gun, around $38 from amazon) it certainly helps alot

2 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Here on Long Island, NY i have a certified spot (closes May 15) that i can access from shore, The Steamers, Quahogs, and Razors are all in separate areas (Check into a Clam Gun, around $38 from amazon) it certainly helps alot

clam gun for razors? saw a bar with razor shells and thought perhaps this would be a place to try, but never ever considered them before this thread.

15 mins ago, BordnBeachBill said:

You gotta watch taking clams in late summer behind ocean city and sea isle,in August they get this black stain on them and I'm told it's due to the over flow from the waste treatment plant in ocean city.

there are seasonal closures back there

49 mins ago, robtf said:

clam gun for razors? saw a bar with razor shells and thought perhaps this would be a place to try, but never ever considered them before this thread.

Yep, works like a charm they tend to like very fine sand areas, you can locate similar to steamers (small hole)

probably the most delicious calm there is, open them up remove belly and toss on grill with some garlic butter

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

well now that I know, I'm getting a gun and try exploring :)

I already know where to get the quahogs, but adding to the menu would be fantastic.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, robtf said:

well now that I know, I'm getting a gun and try exploring :)

I already know where to get the quahogs, but adding to the menu would be fantastic.

thats what i love about the spot i goto, 100 steamers in an hour of work, move 50 yards and can get big chowders the size of your hand (with a rake) move another 75 yards and its all Razors

Edited by Sandflee

1 min ago, Sandflee said:

thats what i love about the spot i goto, 100 steamers in an hour of work, move 50 yards and can get big chowders the size of your hand (with a rake) move another 75 yards and its all Razors

do you use the clam gun on steamers as well?

while I've definitely seen razor shells on one bar in particular, never heard of anyone getting steamers down here.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, robtf said:

do you use the clam gun on steamers as well?

while I've definitely seen razor shells on one bar in particular, never heard of anyone getting steamers down here.

Steamers clam gun (tried a pitch fork but you kill too many)

a lot of times i'll make a big hole with the clam gun and then use my hand to undercut the sand and pull them out

Razors Clam gun only

steamers tend to be in more muddy areas

Below is an example of how they like different areas

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.21.47 PM.png

Edited by Sandflee