coolhandfluke

clamming help ?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Razor clams can be found in Jersey but most of us only find their very thin broken shells along the beach. 

Image result for pics of razor clam

A few years ago we were taping a show and trying to collect some bait. We were dragging a minnow seine in shallow water along a sandbar when something shot right between my feet like a torpedo. Ran after it until it settled on the bottom. It was a razor clam that was jetting itself through the water. Once it hit the bottom it stuck it's long foot into the sand to pull itself upright then just vanished into the sand. It went through the sand like it was liquid. We dug it out and placed it back on the bottom and it did it again. Found out that it's foot acts just like a jackhammer and moves so quickly that it turns the sandy bottom into quicksand. Amazing to see.

Related image 

56 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Razor clams can be found in Jersey but most of us only find their very thin broken shells along the beach. 

Image result for pics of razor clam

A few years ago we were taping a show and trying to collect some bait. We were dragging a minnow seine in shallow water along a sandbar when something shot right between my feet like a torpedo. Ran after it until it settled on the bottom. It was a razor clam that was jetting itself through the water. Once it hit the bottom it stuck it's long foot into the sand to pull itself upright then just vanished into the sand. It went through the sand like it was liquid. We dug it out and placed it back on the bottom and it did it again. Found out that it's foot acts just like a jackhammer and moves so quickly that it turns the sandy bottom into quicksand. Amazing to see.

Related image 

Sadly those seem to have died off along with the soft shells in the spot. Curious to see how and when it rebounds from whatever happened.

17 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

A friend of mine who is getting up there in years loves to clam and he uses his brain more than his back. Instead of blind raking he uses spiked garden cultivating spikes and just walks around. Clams are usually just below the surface and he feels them with the spikes when they come into contact.

Wealers Green Spiked Lawn Aerator Foot Shoe Set

They don't do any damage to the clams and since he can target them exactly he just uses one of these to pull the clam out. 

Hand Cultivator, Chrome Plated Head

That's a genius idea

Was off the island this afternoon and on my return I pulled off the side of Rt 47 to look around. Mussels are incredible animals. found these guys fifty feet off the road and they are there half out of the mud all winter long and survive. How many critters can sit there exposed to sub zero temps for short or long stretches and survive. Incredible.

IMG_1601.JPG.0511e92d7e886cd37c2c4bbe20a1c32d.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG.d1f1c9ff6f7f0b143451ae63af4359a4.JPG 

21 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Was off the island this afternoon and on my return I pulled off the side of Rt 47 to look around. Mussels are incredible animals. found these guys fifty feet off the road and they are there half out of the mud all winter long and survive. How many critters can sit there exposed to sub zero temps for short or long stretches and survive. Incredible.

IMG_1601.JPG.0511e92d7e886cd37c2c4bbe20a1c32d.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG.d1f1c9ff6f7f0b143451ae63af4359a4.JPG 

Some of those things spend way too much time baking in the summer sun to be harvested. I always try to find the ones that are still underwater at low tide.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, MitchellNJ said:

This is probably the worst year to start. Clam grounds got hit hard with some sort of huge die off over the Summer.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:53 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

Summer clamming was better this year than the past 4 or 5 that I've been doing it.  Something is going on in that spot up there.  

:kook:

limit in about an hour this morning. Blow out tides. It’s chowda time.

1AE73BF3-3198-4AC3-95A6-0D6783FA875F.jpeg