DoOver

R. Mars Will Not Be Down For...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I go to the NASA website regularly and check out the latest pics. Been some interesting photography from the Rover. Some of that stuff up there kind of looks like it was made...not random rock formations. Just saying:shrug:

I would not count it as completely dead just.

The same Martian wind that caused the dust storm the shut it down could well later blow all the dust off its solar panels and allow it to power back up.

I can't believe it's actually been 15 years since we sent that thing up

Where the hell is time going  ???

12 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

I think they said that thing would only last less than a year when it was sent up there......The dude with the crazy hair said aliens were keeping that thing going.

Are you saying the Cubans beat us to Mars?

7 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

I would not count it as completely dead just.

The same Martian wind that caused the dust storm the shut it down could well later blow all the dust off its solar panels and allow it to power back up.

I Agree, I would hope they would send a message every couple of months.  As easily as it was buried it could be unburied.  

18 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Engineering at it's finest. I think it stayed functional 2 or 3 times longer than it was predicted to.

Originally designed to last only three months.  It did pretty darn good.  Too bad the dust storm wiped it out.

Cabo

Talk about duty cycles.... Voyager 1 space probe has been going for 41 years and 13.5 billion miles, when its original mission was 3 years.

Goes to show that NASA’s solar charging and battery technology was pretty impressive, even back then.

To this date, I’ve yet to have a cell phone’s battery last more than 2-3 years. :mad:

38 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

Talk about duty cycles.... Voyager 1 space probe has been going for 41 years and 13.5 billion miles, when its original mission was 3 years.

Goes to show that NASA’s solar charging and battery technology was pretty impressive, even back then.

To this date, I’ve yet to have a cell phone’s battery last more than 2-3 years. :mad:

Or get a signal half of the time lol

This it was designed for X months and lasted Y years is tripe....

They just say that so that everyone feels like it did better than expected.

In reality - just getting them there and working was the wow part.

After that it was - lets run it as long as it will go.

But nobody would have sent it there if they only thought it really would only last a month or two.

Under promise and over deliver = success........

The deep space probes are nuclear powered not solar powered.  So is the latest rover that got sent up there.  Solar is not the best solution.  We had to park and hibernate those things in the Mars winter - due to lack of sunlight.  And we had to rely on wind cleaning events.  And what finally killed it?  Dust storm.

My vote is to keep going with these probes and get them to the point to be able to do return sample trips.  These robot drones can do a huge amount of science (either the landers or the other fly by planetary probes) for a fraction of the cost of sending a human up into space. 

All we know and have learned is that space is a really bad place to be for people.  Bone loss, instant sinus impaction due to no gravity and as a result the need for antibiotics all the time to stave off sinus infections, solar and cosmic radiation damage to the astronauts DNA........Let alone the dangers of launch and reentry.  All of it is bad for people.  Spend my tax dollars on sending up lots more robots and cool stuff like space telescopes.  Leave the people on the ground.