The Graveyard Shift

Night Fly Fishing for Striped Bass info from TGS

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/15/2019 at 7:15 PM, HillTop said:

Dan,

Do you find the Copic marker system to be permanent or do they wash out / fade after a little use ?

Thx,

HT

When its under an adhesive its as durable as the coating.  It does not play well with certain things for example Loon UV resin.  If not coating with an adhesive or resin then it depends on the material and how well it takes the ink.  I am pretty happy with it overall but there is a decent amount of trial and error.  You find some materials hold color much better than others.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Inspired by @The Graveyard Shift and his large flies, (and mention of rattles),  I challenged myself to tie my first large fly.    My vise had never seen a 5/0 hook before :) and is accustomed to 2, 1, and 1/0 maximum hooks in the past.     I thought it might be a good time to also try my new stainless rattles so this attempted herring imitation is a smorgasbord of things I've been thinking about .    Four flatwing saddle hackles, two of which I colored with Sharpies, an articulated tail section encompassing one 5/8" long SS rattle and fastened to the underside of the 5/0,  is another 7/8" long SS rattle to add as ballast to allow the fly to swim hook point up and add a nice base for wrapping the hook body with a homemade brush pattern and then topped with a kanekalon top dressing.   Happy with this one considering it's my first attempt.    Wanting now to do up a bunker imitation and a large squid pattern using the same formula.

HT

FirstLarge.png.e84bf1c715f9f555982dddc43cc33c36.png

rattleparts.jpg.d9dc60735c728d6e0bf18ac2a66ab531.jpg

Edited by HillTop

Very nice as always.  Happy Easter 

I like went he adds this is my first? 

Looks like his Hundred and First? 

If I was a fish I would be hooked. 

Edited by ccb

9 mins ago, ccb said:

Very nice as always.  Happy Easter 

I like went he adds this is my first? 

Looks like his Hundred and First? 

If I was a fish I would be hooked. 

Hi Bob,

Happy Easter to you as well.    (have to help the wife now clean up for company so no more tying).

Seriously,  this is the first big fly.   I've pretty much only done a few dozen Clousers and a half dozen Deceivers, (and a few experimental shrimp, crab, and squid flies) in my short SW FF tenure.   Never did sweetwater stuff other than a Mickey Finn or two when I was a kid.    As proof you should see what ends up in my waste basket because when I get into a pattern and I'm not happy I just toss it and start anew.   I'm hard on myself and waste a lot of time unfortunately.

HT

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Inspired by @The Graveyard Shift and his large flies, (and mention of rattles),  I challenged myself to tie my first large fly.    My vise had never seen a 5/0 hook before :) and is accustomed to 2, 1, and 1/0 maximum hooks in the past.     I thought it might be a good time to also try my new stainless rattles so this attempted herring imitation is a smorgasbord of things I've been thinking about .    Four flatwing saddle hackles, two of which I colored with Sharpies, an articulated tail section encompassing one 5/8" long SS rattle and fastened to the underside of the 5/0,  is another 7/8" long SS rattle to add as ballast to allow the fly to swim hook point up and add a nice base for wrapping the hook body with a homemade brush pattern and then topped with a kanekalon top dressing.   Happy with this one considering it's my first attempt.    Wanting now to do up a bunker imitation and a large squid pattern using the same formula.

HT

FirstLarge.png.e84bf1c715f9f555982dddc43cc33c36.png

rattleparts.jpg.d9dc60735c728d6e0bf18ac2a66ab531.jpg

Sweet fly HT.  It will do well!