The Graveyard Shift

Night Fly Fishing for Striped Bass info from TGS

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, 27conch said:

TGS,  I am not disputing the effectiveness of rattles in flies.  I have been using them on some of my patterns for the better part of 30 years now.  I do question the notion that someone did sound testing on a real lobster, recorded it, and then developed a rattle that is the exact imitation.  I was actually supposed to tie some of his rattle flies back in the day, but we could never agree on the proper compensation.  He is out of that segment now I believe ?   

I actually have one of his rattles sitting right in front of me now on my kitchen table.:)

As far as lobster patterns go, the one tied by Dave Skok is pretty interesting..

skokslobster1.jpg

I like that Skok fly!!

Yeah that exact sound signature part seems suspect, but I have not much knowledge on underwater acoustics so can't comment scientifically.  I just use normal jig rattles purchased from an online lure parts distributer.  Maybe I need to try that last rattle you have to see if it makes a difference to the bass :rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, SG1 said:

How about a quick review on the Behemoth?  How is it holding up to the salt? I got a great deal on one at the FF show in NJ, Haven't used it yet. 

The drag is solid.  It held a ton of backing and is large enough it recovers line quick enough during a fight.  I had issues with corrosrion but I fell got reel fully submersed then it got hit by a bunch of other waves too.  I was tired and beat so did not clean it after trip.  Then work, life and little kids kept me from servicing for several days.  It was not good but I was able to resussitate it to get through  end of season it finally died and I got a new one.  The new one is a canal only reel since I dont get wet there.  If you are religious about cleaning it and servicing it every 30-45 days it will

be totally fine.  Its very easy to service too I was just dumb and should have made time to take care of that reel.  It had been majorly abused.  For the money its the best drag you can buy on a fly reel hence using it for Canal again.  I will get a true sealed drag mid summer in preparation for taking 12 wt back out

in the fall storms out front

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

On 2/14/2019 at 0:38 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

The lobster fly I used was 7-8 inches so those are plently big enough.  On crab flies I like a 3/0 or 4/0 jig hook and the shell portion to have a 3.5-4 inch width to represent a really large female green crab.  However I did okay on smaller crab flies 1.5-2 inches wide too.  I am working on replacing these flies now so when done I will post pictures.  I lost all my crab and lobster flies last season, which tells you they got a lot of use.  Also just like freshwater name of game is being on bottom so expect to snag up occasionally.  

You really need to check out "Buffy" crab flies from Alan L. in Maine.....They are really great and we use 30" of T-17 to cast them.  Alan is a true gentleman! Check out his sole video: 

Edited by gjq
Fly photo deleted

Great Topical Read. So I'll offer this dated pic to match some of the highlights in this thread's many words. 

At night ... standing by / fishing structure (a big rock in a strong river flow) ... a black fly (surf candy streamer) ... and wearing my eye protection, Safety First!

NightVision.jpg.d51d35006c6533f5c9dd3950789ee8da.jpg

Glad to see you use a PDF. I am 65 and don't have the jetty legs, I used to have. I was knocked off the jetty twice by rogue waves when I was younger. Two years ago I slipped on the jetty and tore my rotator cuff. Still not healed. I want to continue to fish the jetties and decided last year I was going to use an inflatable PDF when on the jetty. I bought a self inflating one that inflates at a 4 foot depth. I haven't used it yet, but will this year. If I got knocked off these days I would probably have a heart attack (had two) trying to swim or get back up on the jetty. Probably wouldn't hurt to attach a beacon light that blinks and a whistle in case I do go in the drink.

I used to wade deep in the Barnegat Bay at night for weakfish. I only worried about getting run over by a boat, so I had a small red light attached to my hat. I never gave sharks a thought. My son worked on a Party Boat in the bay and saw many sharks including bull sharks. They tracked Mary the Great White through the bay. I won't wade above my knees these days.

Great thread keep them coming.

Gil

I am more worried about the bull sharks. I think Mary Lee bit the dust since they haven't had any sign of her for a long time. I think I may switch to my boat or kayak at night fly fishing the bay. I sure did like to wade before all of this shark knowledge that was forced upon me.

Bull Sharks like really warm water.  Not sure we would have them in NJ.  Never heard of them being here before.

TGS, here is the infamous rattle from you know who..4 BB's in a crack vial..

rattle.jpg

19 hours ago, GilV said:

I am more worried about the bull sharks. I think Mary Lee bit the dust since they haven't had any sign of her for a long time. I think I may switch to my boat or kayak at night fly fishing the bay. I sure did like to wade before all of this shark knowledge that was forced upon me.

Shark Week sort of messed all those comfortable nights up. ML probably finally lost her ping thing. They are designed to eventually fall off. 

17 hours ago, 27conch said:

Bull Sharks like really warm water.  Not sure we would have them in NJ.  Never heard of them being here before.

It was a bull shark in the Mullica River that was the inspiration for Jaws. Last year Porgy fishing off Long Branch the captain said look of the stern of the boat. There was a hammer head. I thought they were warm water sharks too. I was shocked to see one. 

Sorry to take this off topic. I hope to see more about Night Flyfishing.

Edited by GilV

48 mins ago, GilV said:

I hope to see more about Night Flyfishing.

Several years ago I wrote a piece for the now-defunct Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Journal titled "Ten Things You Should Know About Nighttime Fly Fishing For Big Trout." Much of it applies to stripers or night fishing in general. You can find it online if you do a search. :-)

Steve Culton