The Graveyard Shift

Night Fly Fishing for Striped Bass info from TGS

Rate this topic

244 posts in this topic

Heh GYS,

I did not know you were unwell. Great that you are back. I still have strong memories of the time we spent on your patch.

One day I hope to return to the Cape.

Mike

Dan,

Question, when you get a large Striper and hook up deep into a fly of this size.  What's the chance of catching something like a 9 1/2" long fly with two hooks and you end up hooking a Striper where the bottom/end hook ends up really deep into the Striper.    Especially if you use barbed hooks where the change of damaging a Striper is a real concern ?

HT

eel.jpg.9a2231f00bd4d6304fce4de64d7a39ce.jpg

Great to see you're back out there and here. 

Thanks for putting vevadoo on my radar. I've settled on the beast sling to carry both rods and plenty of flies and plugs. 

On 5/24/2022 at 7:24 PM, HillTop said:

Dan,

Question, when you get a large Striper and hook up deep into a fly of this size.  What's the chance of catching something like a 9 1/2" long fly with two hooks and you end up hooking a Striper where the bottom/end hook ends up really deep into the Striper.    Especially if you use barbed hooks where the change of damaging a Striper is a real concern ?

HT

eel.jpg.9a2231f00bd4d6304fce4de64d7a39ce.jpg

I have fished tandem hook flies consistently since spring of 2019.  So far I have not had one fish take a secondary hook deep leading to the fish getting gilled or otherwise injured.  Its important to note these were all flies 8" or longer in length.  I have had some smaller single hook flies taken deep and lead to potential fish mortality.  

On 5/24/2022 at 8:10 PM, Bait Tailer said:

Great to see you're back out there and here. 

Thanks for putting vevadoo on my radar. I've settled on the beast sling to carry both rods and plenty of flies and plugs. 

Vedavoo's gear is great.  I am getting an inversion sling from them to be my daytime flats rig.  My custom sling is pretty much my exclusive gear item for night trips

They (Vedavoo) has some good stuff. I like their wallets, would prefer fleece over Velcro but I haven’t seen those in years. 

Posted (edited)

On 2022-05-15 at 7:34 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Did not fish much in 2021 due to a long battle with issues from my deployment to Iraq in 2006/2007.  Doing better this year and will plan to update this thread throughout the season.  Looking forward to reconnecting with friends out at night chasing bass this year.  

Just saw this. It's good to see you back and I hope the issues you refer too are settled. I'm not a striper night angler but I always enjoyed your analytical and in-depth approach to it. Good fishing.

Edited by Suave
Omission

TGS,

Glad you are back, and thank you for your service and sharing your  night adventures with us all.

Paul

I had taken a good bit of time "off" from StripersOnline, well before moving here.  Read through this whole thing and found some excellent information. 

Night fishing is a substantial weakness for me - never really liked it - which gives me lots of room for improvement.

Nce contribution Sir- glad you're back in the saddle.

So the three main things I have been focusing on this year are boulder fields, inlets, and using crab patterns under indicators in areas of substantial current.  I am working on a separate article for inlets and a crab article that I am not sure will be ready until I have one season of data under my belt. 

What I can say is squid flies work at inlets and boulder fields year round.  I used to never use them as I was not aware of any large squid runs near me.  However I can say it works so well it can be a go to general purpose fly for night fishing

239BB336-88E4-4B75-A292-EE8C0B3EFF9C.jpeg

8521EAD2-A768-4533-BB69-DDCDE1E2C9C7.jpeg

A5727573-5DAC-49F6-9890-A58B4AE5BCF0.jpeg

AF9D504B-5D7A-44EC-B1B0-68040DAC4E4C.jpeg

DDA2413C-56CA-45A4-8B5E-E60183A9790F.jpeg

BEB59E78-498C-47D7-88F6-FF44630E5D5E.jpeg

3B4156DA-85F9-416E-80E5-6718FF3296E4.jpeg

@The Graveyard Shift       I committed a good amount of time to fishing squid flies this year and they have not produced well for me. I still have so much confidence in them. Bass just love to eat squid. Never done the crab under the bobber trick though. How large are you going on the crab patterns? 

You have to be comfortable at night, which means familiar with you're daytime routine. Otherwise short  heavy heads, and flies you're confident in...it's all about listening and smelling at night...once u find em they eat !