The Graveyard Shift

Night Fly Fishing for Striped Bass info from TGS

Rate this topic

244 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2020 at 6:01 PM, The Fisherman said:

I'll give ya small -- and sparse to boot. About 2" long, and they were still slamming it even after it lost most of its material (it used to be Ray Bondorew's Marabou Sand Eel).

Steve Culton

MatchstickSandEel.jpeg.2347c6a8083eac9ef3331f69f1bce68a.jpeg

That fly has clearly been through the ringer!  Last night a single feather flatwing fished greased line was the answer.  Everything else got ignored.  4D9F91EE-C9B2-4339-9A2D-00B58C76D812.jpeg.3650dbd5ecd01ba05d39b3e26234ee7f.jpeg

Sand eels are one of my favorite hatches, and even after all these years it's still a learning experience. On many occasions I've experienced a two-stage feeding event. First, the bass are willing to chase the stripped fly. Then, there comes a point where they will only take a dead-drifted or slowly/mended swung fly. (Or flies, as the savvy angler will be fishing a team of baits for this event.) Great stuff. Some of the hits are light taps, some are building pulls, and others are outright slaughter. Trout fishing for stripers, baby!

Steve Culton 

This is my first take on Rich Murphy's Rattlesnake.  The tail is tied on an HMH Large Rigid Tube, rather than whipped in hand.  I melted a lip the front end of the tube to help give the EX Body purchase.  I used two regular size plastic rattles, rather than the Pyrex.  I think on the next one I will add a short tube between the tail tube and the hook to add one more collar and separate the two rattles.  I'm with TGS, I avoid spinning Deer hair whenever possible, except for traditional muddler style flies.  So I buried a 1/2" foam tube in the EZ Body head (I did misjudge the length of tubing needed to fold back over the foam - but it's a fishing fly and I don't think the fish will be scrutinizing that tier's error with their retinal rods).

Next to Kenny Abrames works, Rich's book and flies are the second greatest contribution to Striper fishing and fly tying in my estimation.  I love my Flatwings and SW Soft Hackles, and when it comes to both durability and a well thought out platform, that is both imitative and representational in style, Rich's flies are tough to beat.

RichMurphyRattlesnake.jpg

On 2/13/2019 at 0:16 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

I am writing a series of blog articles on this topic.  I figured I would also post the information here as well.  There are four articles total.  The first two are done and I will post immediately.  The other two I am working on finishing.  I really like the blog I started writing for, but I noticed that my articles are lucky to get 200 views total.  The whole point of writing the articles was to help people get information on how to fly fish at night more effectively for striped bass keeper size or better.  I know that SOL is a more targeted audience and the information will be appreciated so figured I would share them here too.

Thank you for sharing your fishing knowledge and SOL members thanks for your input.

Well I found a nice group of fish using surfcasting gear and was able the second night to manage a nice fish on the fly off the same group of fish.  

E7CD4087-65CB-491B-90FC-8C7EECDF43A3.jpeg.937763f1018c3fb41a29f9f3f06c71b9.jpeg

Getting deep was critical.  Fish took a big clouser minnow about 5" long.  Eventually current got too fast to effectively fly fish so I switched to using surf gear again.

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Eventually current got too fast to effectively fly fish so I switched to using surf gear again.

About to do a search on the subject but... do you have any preferred methods for carrying both rods?  I tried using gear ties on a backpack but it's a pita when wading and rockhoping on the jetties and boulders with belt bags and stripping basket and long surf rod butt. 

42 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

About to do a search on the subject but... do you have any preferred methods for carrying both rods?  I tried using gear ties on a backpack but it's a pita when wading and rockhoping on the jetties and boulders with belt bags and stripping basket and long surf rod butt. 

No good solution found yet.  I stash one up where It wont get washed away.  Its very awkward taking both sets of gear.  Generally I do it inlet fishing and I do not move frequently.  Earlier in tide flies work well as I can get them down into the strike zone and at a certain point I switch to jigs 2-5oz.  This is really the only scenario I carry both fly and surf tackle on same trip.  Usually its one or the other for a trip.

I'll keep experimenting.   Ive been considering some of the larger sling style packs with rod holder straps but am going to try a belt holder and shoulder strap clip setup.  Got the 3rd hand holder for paddle board lake fishing and was impressed. Unfortunately it doesn't hold the surf rod well enough. 

This is what I use to hold a second rod while casting the other. It uses a commercial fly rod holder attached to an armature which in turn is attached to a rigid box inserted in a knapsack.

FullSackOutdoors.JPG

InsertAndHolder.jpg

Posted (edited)

Found more fish.  Got my 10wt back so fished my fast sinking line with floatin eel flies combo.  It looks like an eel trying to swim down in current.  FYI the fish pictured were caught on flies.  I switched to surf gear and jigging bucktails when current got fast.  Lot more fish caught on jigs but nothing bigger than these fish so they were only pictures that night.

8922114D-681F-4ABF-B450-7CCAA40B360B.jpeg.a4ba4cb61a775758824c985de01d55df.jpegBBA4EA5D-790A-43E5-8A73-29BF300F5BAA.jpeg.f9e5e96519c85da9bba09bb56da51d9e.jpeg2B188A73-2E1F-40EA-BC7A-57B0B2194DB6.jpeg.269f7302ea6c2d03cc3db3ecc1fc648b.jpeg44A87765-4A1A-4650-9643-7C3EBE3B6B03.jpeg.9a28122ddc620b147f29575cf8ab6d06.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Did not fish much in 2021 due to a long battle with issues from my deployment to Iraq in 2006/2007.  Doing better this year and will plan to update this thread throughout the season.  Looking forward to reconnecting with friends out at night chasing bass this year.  

4 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Did not fish much in 2021 due to a long battle with issues from my deployment to Iraq in 2006/2007.  Doing better this year and will plan to update this thread throughout the season.  Looking forward to reconnecting with friends out at night chasing bass this year.  

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you get the chance to fish this season.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you get the chance to fish this season.

Drew,  I have already gotten out two nights this year which is half the number of days I fished in the entirety of 2021.  My first fish of season seemed to be sent by the fish gods to say "good work getting out there again".  I caught this fish last week, but I was not fly fishing though.  My first fly trip will be later this week.

39DC860B-C03F-4F5A-AEB1-F2BE4727A88F.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Posted (edited)

Given up on the canal but still fishing with the fly. Got this fish last week on a rays. 37” 20lb. Bigger fish should be all over this week and ready for some big offerings. 

5481CE53-64DD-4F84-8FAA-71F6A1667E53.jpeg

Edited by xjclint

First striped bass on the fly for 2022 was this 33" fish caught fishing a herring run at night.  The fish took my own custom twin hook fly pattern based of trying to imitate a Mckenna rigged sluggo.  Its two Owner Aki 6/0 hooks with a 65lb coated wire spine holding them together.

7CF58165-9987-43D5-A7AB-8599C06C5695.jpeg

8E1867DB-EB57-48B3-B30F-BDE7BCEF9809.jpeg

144B95BC-955F-4CDA-893E-ADBB0AC444C6.jpeg

5034CE47-543B-4FFD-98A2-E49C7787BE1C.jpeg

BDBE1A55-D384-40E1-A93D-04B87BE4AC62.jpeg