The Graveyard Shift

Night Fly Fishing for Striped Bass info from TGS

Rate this topic

237 posts in this topic

I am writing a series of blog articles on this topic.  I figured I would also post the information here as well.  There are four articles total.  The first two are done and I will post immediately.  The other two I am working on finishing.  I really like the blog I started writing for, but I noticed that my articles are lucky to get 200 views total.  The whole point of writing the articles was to help people get information on how to fly fish at night more effectively for striped bass keeper size or better.  I know that SOL is a more targeted audience and the information will be appreciated so figured I would share them here too.

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I am writing a series of blog articles on this topic.  I figured I would also post the information here as well.  There are four articles total.  The first two are done and I will post immediately.  The other two I am working on finishing.  I really like the blog I started writing for, but I noticed that my articles are lucky to get 200 views total.  The whole point of writing the articles was to help people get information on how to fly fish at night more effectively for striped bass keeper size or better.  I know that SOL is a more targeted audience and the information will be appreciated so figured I would share them here too.

Thanks Graveyard. You've been the top contributor in my book over past year due to your long and informative and interesting posts on Canal fishing. Some very interesting stuff and you have a nice balanced take on things that I like. You are truly seeking to inform other, not seeking to boast endlessly and repetitively about your tally of large bass, which you could do if you wanted to! One of my favorite posts was the one where you spotted the school  of bass in the tidal creek and then "snowshoed" in with those mud boots and the ladder.  

2 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Thanks Graveyard. You've been the top contributor in my book over past year due to your long and informative and interesting posts on Canal fishing. Some very interesting stuff and you have a nice balanced take on things that I like. You are truly seeking to inform other, not seeking to boast endlessly and repetitively about your tally of large bass, which you could do if you wanted to! One of my favorite posts was the one where you spotted the school  of bass in the tidal creek and then "snowshoed" in with those mud boots and the ladder.  

Everytime I think I am getting great the stripers hand me a big serving of humble pie.  A couple of skunks reminds us its fishing not catching.  Glad the info is helpful hope you catch a monster this season!

I hugely appreciate all the work you've done it is a massive service for the community. One day I plan to live near the coast and put all your learnings into practice myself. 

14 hours ago, 27conch said:

It was all going good for me until you mentioned the infamous rattle sinker..Oh boy..

Haha unfortunately as much as I want to think its BS the testing I have done pretty much validates his entire concept.  Last year I made a heavy lobster fly and rattled it along base of an inlet jetty on cape tight line nymphing.  It was lethal on big bass.  

Not to go OT but nice meeting last night, and I look forward to the participating, and hopefully contributing. It's clear you have put in the time, and it seems you expect more from yourself than the fish. Right on.

34 mins ago, GilV said:

What kind of scents do you use?

Thanks

Gil

I like Pro-Cure Super Gel.  I try to match the scent to the bait I think bass are keyed in on at night.  Once you use the scent on that fly just understand you need to keep it in a zip lock bag as it will stink. That is the main reason I don't use it regularly and only use it when I know there is a lot of bait and bass present, but I am struggling to get fish to hit my fly at night.  If the scent easily washed off at the end of an outing I would use it all the time because in the dark it makes a huge difference, but it stays in the fly material and is very persistent in its smell.  

For River Herring = Either the Alewife or Herring gel (This applies to both full size adults and young of year)

For Bunker = Menhaden gel (This applies to both full size adults and peanuts)

For American Eel = Eel gel

For Crabs = Blue Crab or Shedder Crab gel

For Worms = Blood Worm gel

They also make a Squid, Mullet, Mole Crab and Sand Shrimp versions that I have not used because I don't encounter those very much in the areas I fish.  But I am sure they work great in LI sound or RI/South Side of Cape Cod.