Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icarussound

Terror eyes in the Indian river

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Been spending a whole lot of time fishing the Indian river close to the S Inlet these days. Have had some great success with DOA shrimp after I figured out how to use them. Someone told me the DOA terror eyes (I think theyre called) work as well or better. Just wondering if anyone has tips on how to swim these?

Why change something if its already working for you?.. Now with saying that i have a bunch of them LOL and it really doesnt do much as far as action... I test everything out in a swimming pool to change things up in my lures and terror eyes really dont impress me... But i went fishing (boat) down south and my friend would just cast them and l jig them up and down in the current pretty slow, he let the current move them... and they work really well... he also use them in shallow water and just cast and hop them on the bottom...You can google "how to use terror eyes" and you will find all kinds of ways people use them....And just like any other lure they have their place...but just like any other lure.. You have to have faith in it and put everything else away... till you get thru the learning curve and it starts working for you...thats my problem i can't get thru that learning curve :beatin: :laugh::laugh:

Ha ha! I’m always experimenting. I can usually catch using Mirrolure or DOA shrimp but there are times when neither work. Besides I have fun learning how to work new lures so why not?!

In Stuart around the bridges, 3/8 size, brown with gold flake, drop them to the bottom and retrieve slow with snappy lifts of the rod tip. Good for tarpon too. If current strong, cast up current to let the Terror Eyze settle down.  

I’ll try it. Maybe this morning though the wabasso bridge is about 3 miles from where I typically launch. I usually do a slow troll on the way & pick up fish. Last time I went though, at the bridge, I spooked a manatee and she bumped me hard which was not exactly fun! The mirrolure catches trout and ladyfish, the shrimp imitations have been catching undersized snook, and several permit a few days ago. I’d like to get onto bigger snook, not interested in tarpon particularly.

I watched a tarpon fishing video where the guys anchored up in a spot with decent current and up current from a bridge. They then let the terror eyez just drift in the current off the stern. They seemed to crush it. Pretty sure they were solely using root beer colored baits.

My son does pretty well on the juvenile tarpon with them. Usually jigging/popping of the bottom. Occasionally just a straight retrieve. Snook too.

I have no confidence in them, for some reason.

22 hours ago, Hook I said:

fish it like a bucktail = w/ no hairs , it was one of my early years presentations 

Now that’s practical advice I can use, thank you, I fish bucktails almost exclusively in the surf.

i actually had poor luck yesterday, water was very clear, current was very slow - almost glassy, no clouds, bright sun... only thing that caught was a 3” DOA shrimp fished really slow. I had switched from 20lb fluorocarbon to 18 lb mono leader & I think that had something to do with it so I’m going back to flouro for the next one.

2 hours ago, icarussound said:

Now that’s practical advice I can use, thank you, I fish bucktails almost exclusively in the surf.

i actually had poor luck yesterday, water was very clear, current was very slow - almost glassy, no clouds, bright sun... only thing that caught was a 3” DOA shrimp fished really slow. I had switched from 20lb fluorocarbon to 18 lb mono leader & I think that had something to do with it so I’m going back to flouro for the next one.

What did u catch?

On 2/15/2019 at 9:05 AM, Stuu said:

My son does pretty well on the juvenile tarpon with them. Usually jigging/popping of the bottom. Occasionally just a straight retrieve. Snook too.

I have no confidence in them, for some reason.

They look better to the fish than to you and I

13 hours ago, yosco said:

What did u catch?

Speckled trout, 3 decent sized, one dink, a couple of ladyfish, one undersized snook. It actually took a stupid long time before I figured what they were after. Gold. No other color got anything.