History.....

Rate this topic

HopHead

20 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

I personally thought it was an excellent rebuttal

Not quite "Bang your Mom" caliber but spirited for a North African .

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

3 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

This may be a stupid question, but was it scarier the first jump or the later/last jump?  

Every damn one of them:laugh:

"LIFE'S TOUGH......IT'S EVEN TOUGHER WHEN YOU'RE STUPID." John Wayne

"Just as the laymen leave medicine to doctors and electronics to engineers, so people who are not qualified to think should leave all thinking to the experts and have faith in the experts' higher authority. Only experts are able to understand the discoveries of modern science, which have proved that thought is an illusion and that the mind is a myth."

Atlas Shrugged

2 hours ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Is that how he got the shrapnel in his head?

Naah.....that was courtesy of the ex-wife :wee:

"Just as the laymen leave medicine to doctors and electronics to engineers, so people who are not qualified to think should leave all thinking to the experts and have faith in the experts' higher authority. Only experts are able to understand the discoveries of modern science, which have proved that thought is an illusion and that the mind is a myth."

Atlas Shrugged

3 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

Hes talking about the test plane that was 10ft off the ground, he twisted his ankle and they give him the boot

That's a damn lie........

It was 20 feet!!!!!:scared::p

3 hours ago, Wigeon said:

Then they made him limp off to the motor pool to spend the rest of his service doing oil changes on Jeeps and Humvees.

It launched his post-military crooked mechanic career. :th:

True story. When I first got to Bragg one of the first crap jobs all newbies got assigned to was rotating the tires on the deuce and halfs.....10 wheel 2.5 ton trucks. Didn't matter if the truck hadn't rolled a foot in the last year....the tires had to be rotated. Back breaking ball busting work. Top it off it was mid July...not as Hades.

So here we are....4 buck privates sweating our nads off changing these tires which made a regular truck tire look like a go cart tire. Big split rim monster tires.

Very first tire. We get half of the lug nuts off but we can't budge the rest. We pull, tug, cuss, and sweat yet nothing we do breaks them loose.

This goes on for 2 hours. It's kicking our ass and we have 9 tires to go. Plus 6 more trucks. DAMMIT!!!

Finally our battalion sergeant major happens by. Asks us "What's the problem men?"

We tell him we can't get the lug nuts off. He looks, picks up a hammer. Taps the end of the lug nut studs, lo and behold a chunk of paint pops off. Under the paint....a big "L" stamped in the end of the lug nut studs. Seems that to keep the enemy from stealing the tires they used both right and left hand threaded lug nuts. Vietnam era trucks.

Seems the trucks were painted also EVER YEAR. Some sweetheart had painted the tires....lug nuts and all.:mad: Of course the older guys in the platoon KNEW this. Bastids.

I swore then when I got out of the Army I'd never turn another wrench. How the hell I ended up a mechanic is beyond me.:laugh:

Atlas Shrugged

back to books...

Rick Atkinson' liberation Trilogy, about the US Army in World War II is about as good as it gets:

An Army at Dawn (Volume One) - THE WAR IN NORTH AFRICA, 1942-1943

The Day of Battle (Volume Two) - THE WAR IN SICILY AND ITALY, 1943-1944

The Guns at Last Light (Volume Three) - THE WAR IN WESTERN EUROPE, 1944-1945

15 hours ago, TimS said:

I've had to edit or remove about 90 of your 98 posts - please keep your posts on topic - please don't posts commercial YouTube videos. Not the end of the world in the Tavern, posts are often off topic - not completely random but a bit off topic - in the rest of the forums they need to be very much on topic. Thanks. 

TimS

I thought this topic was about history.

Did you happen to notice that the draw bridge on the belt pkwy by the dump is gone.

How are the boats going to get by?

Overalls With Suspenders