codfish

How do stripers feed?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

does anyone ever fish from a kayak in the canal ? or see anyone doing it ? is it frowned upon? i know some people get very sensitive about the canal haha..

Years ago on the west end  I saw some kids enter the canal in a canoe that had a small motor on it.they were hooting and hollering. They did not stay in the canal for long they turned around and left.

It looked very dangerous from where I was standing. 

7 hours ago, rst3 said:

From the US Army website

Screenshot_20190228-232924_Drive.jpg.6fa47b114ea3b6a5547529e8f339a24d.jpg

Yes to this

8 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

does anyone ever fish from a kayak in the canal ? or see anyone doing it ? is it frowned upon? i know some people get very sensitive about the canal haha..

I think you have a death wish if you want to kayak in the Canal. I'm sure Coasties would be all over you in Minutes 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, rst3 said:

Here's some gopro clips I took of the bottom of the canal at 50ft in full sunlight, and almost no current. Basically slack. Maximum possible visibility. Can see probably 40-50ft on the horizontal, and silhouettes are plainly visible from above. But looking down? the bottom stays hidden until within 15 or 20ft.

Had to compress the clips some to fit under the 14MB limit on gifs, so clarity isn't quite the original 1080p.  

After dark, visibility is limited to silhouettes against the surface. And lateral line movement jazz. Color at 50ft deep, at midnight, in a screaming tide?? Zero. Simply different shades of grey, at best, that are moving.. and catch the lateral line and/or eye of a bass, when in very close.

Last of the freespooled vertical drop:

ezgif-3-5577d4840ddd.gif.55a0890169750a1cb7bde6580741a277.gif

######

Bounced along bottom like a jig:

ezgif-3-f539a23b2406.gif.f43e37ec64e00591bc3c8e52e0743fe1.gif

wow impressive footage

3 hours ago, IcedFlounder said:

wow impressive footage

Well so much for the popular belief that there are Trillions of Dollars worth of Bucktail and plugs all over the Bottom of the Cape Cod Canal!! Soooo where are all the lost Bucktails??!!:hooked:

Anybody ever tied a heavy hook on a line and try Dragging  any of the canal . I caught an sp, needle and 2 -5oz bucktails on 30 lb Power Pro all at one time. They were all in good shape I was happy

6 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

Anybody ever tied a heavy hook on a line and try Dragging  any of the canal . I caught an sp, needle and 2 -5oz bucktails on 30 lb Power Pro all at one time. They were all in good shape I was happy

Nice, the way I've been spending money on equipment, I might just try that out.

1 hour ago, Ditchbag said:

The guys who were fishing with those lures at the time were not so happy however! :laugh: :hooked:

16 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Years ago on the west end  I saw some kids enter the canal in a canoe that had a small motor on it.they were hooting and hollering. They did not stay in the canal for long they turned around and left.

It looked very dangerous from where I was standing. 

Yes to this

Right on thanks! Iv never been to the canal, so just looking for some info.  I plan on giving the canal a shot once or twice this year. New to new england so just doing some research.  

15 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

I think you have a death wish if you want to kayak in the Canal. I'm sure Coasties would be all over you in Minutes 

thanks for the feedback.  Never been to the canal so just doing some research.  

The canal last year was a combat zone and many crappy stories about it were shared here. I can’t wait to hear about the savages this year. SAVAGES. Some of our fellow human neighbors are nothing more than savages.  Why anyone would want to fish there is beyond my comprehension. I fished it for years until 2003 when the savages started to show up. 

10 hours ago, Kones1 said:

The canal last year was a combat zone and many crappy stories about it were shared here. I can’t wait to hear about the savages this year. SAVAGES. Some of our fellow human neighbors are nothing more than savages.  Why anyone would want to fish there is beyond my comprehension. I fished it for years until 2003 when the savages started to show up. 

That's a lot of savages:cool:

13 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Iv heard it gets pretty hairy, l will probably stick to mostly yaking boston harbor