codfish

How do stripers feed?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Stripers are blessed with a good sized eye which tells you something. When they are feeding in the top of the water column during early daylight they can be hard to trick! They wised up to the chumming and chunking techniques we used in the ditch quick enough........

44 mins ago, robc22 said:

Stripers are blessed with a good sized eye which tells you something. When they are feeding in the top of the water column during early daylight they can be hard to trick! They wised up to the chumming and chunking techniques we used in the ditch quick enough........

Tell me about it...(¬_¬)

Had a day last year where slowly-blitzing bass wouldn't hit anything. Had to be 40 guys getting shutout for almost 2hrs, throwing every last plug in their bags. Think I saw like 2 fish caught. It was both maddening and sad

Yes, and we'd all like to be out there getting skunked today instead of waiting another 2 1/2 months before there are many stripers around. :banghd::eek:

On the vision thing, pulled up this clip. Think I also read somewhere that bass have a fixed area of focus, or something like that, unlike us who can zoom in and out. 

Screenshot_20190214-123412_Chrome.jpg.3eba032ca827885d5c9db3241041e20b.jpg

On another post I talked about striped bass "hearing". I dont think they quite hear in the same sense as us, with ears, but instead with their lateral line.

The color perception comment was interesting. It implies that those pretty colors that some of us use to pour or paint for baits probably are not distinguished by the bass unless the lure is at very close range. Although I don't really know if that would change how I fish. 

I think a bass's "hearing" is more of a vibration detector than an audible sound detector. 

They pick it up on the lateral lines and there sense of smell it really good.  

I believe I read that they don’t see colors that good.  Just shades 

Trout can see colors they say 

Years ago when they were adding the runway at Logan there was a outflow pipe. (  2 pipes )  ?   The water would flow out and there would be about a circle about 15’ wide and 8 to 10 ‘ deep of bublbles  , Air Bubbles as the tide would go down . We would throw a 1 1/4 oz Atoms in the middle of the wash and the plug would just hit the water and a Striper would be on.  

I would say , how the hell those the fish see that plug in all those Air Bubble

But they did ? 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, rst3 said:

Here's some gopro clips I took of the bottom of the canal at 50ft in full sunlight, and almost no current. Basically slack. Maximum possible visibility. Can see probably 40-50ft on the horizontal, and silhouettes are plainly visible from above. But looking down? the bottom stays hidden until within 15 or 20ft.

Had to compress the clips some to fit under the 14MB limit on gifs, so clarity isn't quite the original 1080p.  

After dark, visibility is limited to silhouettes against the surface. And lateral line movement jazz. Color at 50ft deep, at midnight, in a screaming tide?? Zero. Simply different shades of grey, at best, that are moving.. and catch the lateral line and/or eye of a bass, when in very close.

Last of the freespooled vertical drop:

ezgif-3-5577d4840ddd.gif.55a0890169750a1cb7bde6580741a277.gif

######

Bounced along bottom like a jig:

ezgif-3-f539a23b2406.gif.f43e37ec64e00591bc3c8e52e0743fe1.gif

I feel like I just watched the Blair Witch Project!!  Someone pass the motion sickness medicine!  :p

5 hours ago, ccb said:

lot of mussel beds?

How is the tog fishing in the canal?  Anyone do it?

57 mins ago, DZ said:

Video is lost in my files.. but once saw and shot and a mink diving for,  and then dragging, a 14+" tog back to its pups. (Seems they fish at slack, fwiw)

1 hour ago, Twisted said:

I feel like I just watched the Blair Witch Project!!  Someone pass the motion sickness medicine!  :p

Granted :). 

Camera is off a 3-way and does spin a lot. Be thankful I cut out the retrieve! Camera spins so hard it'd trigger epileptic fits

3 mins ago, Twisted said:

Don't get me wrong, very cool footage but I get dizzy easy!! Thank you for not including the retrieve!! :)

NP.

My friend owns a professional class drone sub, good down to 100m, and I'm pushing him to video the bass schools off RP. So long as it isnt eaten by a white... hopefully will have some more "stable" underwater footage next season :th:

To answer the original question specifically: They get their nose as close as they can to the meal and then open their mouth. The rapid opening of the large space creates suction which puts the bait well inside. Then it's "clamp and gulp". That is why you really only need one second from the "hit" (the clamp, tap, contact) to hook a fish in the gullet. I see a large percentage of people wait far too long to set up....JC

2 hours ago, DZ said:

It used to be excellent abt 30 yrs ago and big ones too. The few times i fish there in daytime these days i see guys catching them occasionally but generally pretty small. The scup fishing however is still off the charts.