codfish

How do stripers feed?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

I found this interesting, what say you??

The striped bass has a pair of nostrils on each side that maintain a connection between the nostrils and the mouth. This actually allows for smell and taste to be integrated and shows us that the striper, as a fish, relies on smell and taste a lot more than vision to navigate through its world of water.

Smell is very sensitive, like a dogs... but lateral line is imo, tops, when assessing prey within 5-15ft at night. Eyes are mostly for closing attack, after dark and in poor visibility water. Daytime they see pretty well, probably out to 20+ feet in most circumstances. Smell brings them to bait shoals and to structure like outflows. 

No plug smells, but bass turn on it anyways. 

I've always been impressed that stripers at the Canal, on the darkest of nights, in that dark, turbulent water with all kinds of weed drifting, can pick out a jig bouncing off and zooming along the bottom.  

Here's some gopro clips I took of the bottom of the canal at 50ft in full sunlight, and almost no current. Basically slack. Maximum possible visibility. Can see probably 40-50ft on the horizontal, and silhouettes are plainly visible from above. But looking down? the bottom stays hidden until within 15 or 20ft.

Had to compress the clips some to fit under the 14MB limit on gifs, so clarity isn't quite the original 1080p.  

After dark, visibility is limited to silhouettes against the surface. And lateral line movement jazz. Color at 50ft deep, at midnight, in a screaming tide?? Zero. Simply different shades of grey, at best, that are moving.. and catch the lateral line and/or eye of a bass, when in very close.

Last of the freespooled vertical drop:

ezgif-3-5577d4840ddd.gif.55a0890169750a1cb7bde6580741a277.gif

######

Bounced along bottom like a jig:

ezgif-3-f539a23b2406.gif.f43e37ec64e00591bc3c8e52e0743fe1.gif

Here's another one of barracuda investigating a hooked grunt behind a waterwolf camera, just outside of key west. The water is about 15-18ft deep and yet the bottom cannot be seen. The grunt is riding about 3ft deep. These cuda disappear into the gloom outside 15 or so feet. But they detected the struggling grunt beyond their visual range, which is by the way,  excellent for a fish.

720p on a waterwolf, plus compression to a gif.. but you get the idea 

ezgif-3-4b4f10c05884.gif.043b74e8f7facdfa8f4fe7d79fb6e09a.gif

Lastly: the cuda looked.. but didnt strike

Just now, shark lobster said:

Can they hear? 

Yep. Sound is incredibly loud underwater. You wouldn't believe the sounds my gopro recorded in the canal. Loud as hell. Beneath the bridges? Traffic is roaring above. Tanker going by? You'd think your ears might explode 

7 hours ago, rst3 said:

Yep. Sound is incredibly loud underwater. You wouldn't believe the sounds my gopro recorded in the canal. Loud as hell. Beneath the bridges? Traffic is roaring above. Tanker going by? You'd think your ears might explode 

very informative:)

46 mins ago, codfish said:

very informative:)

Thanks. Sound is one of the things that really stood out when I started taking underwater film last year. You can hear the line ripping back onto the reel during wind-up, and boats are incredibly loud. When tankers go by in the canal and bust up a feed, I now wonder if it's the extreme noise that scatters the fish, (besides the giant ship a few feet above their heads...:)