ECFlyer33

Paddle Board recommendations for Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

I took the Aero Rover out for its maiden voyage, just to try paddling. Haven’t gotten a motor yet. It was a bit on the windy side and standing up just turned me into a sail and pushed me into shore. I’m about 6ft and 260lbs. Narrower boards are very unstable for me despite being somewhat athletic. I can’t imagine standing and paddling this beast in any type of wind. If I sit and use a kayak paddle it’s much better but still since it’s an inflatable, it doesn’t have a Vhull like the hard version of the board so paddling will be limited. I plan on getting a 55lb thrust trolling motor and a push pole of some sort. It is super stable ...really not a paddle board but a floating barge of a fly fishing platform. I think it will be great poling around shallow back bay spots at low tide and motoring between spots. I can easily throw on top of my car and bought a cheap cart to wheel it to launch spots. It has so many options for accessories which was another reason I got it. 

i actually found a bote hd 12' at a pawn shop today in los angeles for $300.  i skipped it because man that board in a 12' is a beast.  too much board sadly.

8 hours ago, mightyrime said:

i actually found a bote hd 12' at a pawn shop today in los angeles for $300.  i skipped it because man that board in a 12' is a beast.  too much board sadly.

12 ft, 32 “ wide and 45lbs doesn’t seem unreasonable and that price is killer. I just don’t seem to have the dexterity to fish effectively off a 32 “ wide board. 

Just spent 9 days breaking in my new board. Moves pretty good for a 12’. That said, I’ll be looking to upgrade to a push pole for the flats. And some form of anchor, a lot more drift than the kayak. Elkton Grebe. 12’ by 36”. Stable, comfortable and durable inflatable.

23038BD0-7A8D-4FFC-AEB8-1E1E864AA013.jpeg

10 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I'm surprised by that feeling, too. I'm not the strongest guy out there, but I haven't had any major issues getting it to the water. I have the shoulder strap, which is OK, but worst case scenario I rest it on my head and make two trips. On the water I've appreciated every inch of length and width.

What about it did you feel was beastly? Compared to which board did it stand out as being unwieldy?

When I break out my 10" inflatable, I notice how much lighter it is, but then I get that on the water and I remember how efficiently the Bote paddles and want to go running back.

well boys i joined the party.  I picked up a nrs heron off  back country  on close out.   I had to order a paddle separate but i like the idea of having a wide board. I am concerned about maneuvering but we will see how it goes.  My one issue is water temps they are still in the low 50's here so im not sure if i rolll the dice and go waders dry top  and stick to water i can stand in(i have fell in ff a kayak in theis combo before and made it through the day) or go in my 5/4 wet suit.  If i go the wet suit rout i will probably have to jump in the water a couple times to keep warm.  

I have thought about  getting some type of propellor or even a sail for when i feel lazy. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Ambergris said:

I'm surprised by that feeling, too. I'm not the strongest guy out there, but I haven't had any major issues getting it to the water. I have the shoulder strap, which is OK, but worst case scenario I rest it on my head and make two trips. On the water I've appreciated every inch of length and width.

What about it did you feel was beastly? Compared to which board did it stand out as being unwieldy?

When I break out my 10" inflatable, I notice how much lighter it is, but then I get that on the water and I remember how efficiently the Bote paddles and want to go running back.

When i saw it pop up on craigslist yesterday with no photo i was not sure what the story was.  Called the number and it was a pawn shop type place.  Ran down there to look at it.

I currently own 2 paddle boards a Hala fame inflatable which is 11'x34" and a Pau Hana big eze angler 11x 32"

I really like the the paua hana.  it does all i need to do except it has a planing hull vs a displacement hull like the bote.  In my experience the planing hull creates some slap.  But here is California we have no flats.  I fish open water so the silent / stealth thing is not really an issue.

My thought was if the Bote looks good i would buy it and sell one of my other boards.

Basically i saw the Bote and it just looked huge.  I know it is only a foot longer but it looked wider as well.  If i still lived somewhere that had flats fishing i probably would have bought it.  I showed some gear buying restraint ( for once) . and told my self my paddle boards do all i need to do at this point.

If I move back somewhere with skinny water flats i will probably want a board like that, but i dont see that in my near future.

If anyone is in southern California and wants it i can share the location.

Edited by mightyrime

Mightyrime, when I first saw the L4 in person I almost had a panic attack.  Like, "ummmm, what did I get myself into?!?!"

I think the other issue is i have gone surfing crazy.  I now own 5 surfboards ( 3 are longboards).  I now have a small 1 car garage here and 5 surfboards, 2 paddleboards, 3 bikes, and all my fishing gear has it maxed out.

Also i am actually getting into paddleboarding and not actually fishing.. just covering ground.  so i am kind of looking for a more narrow tour / race board.

And I have resisted getting a smaller paddle board for surfing...but those sure look fun!

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

well boys i joined the party.  I picked up a nrs heron off  back country  on close out.   I had to order a paddle separate but i like the idea of having a wide board. I am concerned about maneuvering but we will see how it goes.  My one issue is water temps they are still in the low 50's here so im not sure if i rolll the dice and go waders dry top  and stick to water i can stand in(i have fell in ff a kayak in theis combo before and made it through the day) or go in my 5/4 wet suit.  If i go the wet suit rout i will probably have to jump in the water a couple times to keep warm.  

I have thought about  getting some type of propellor or even a sail for when i feel lazy. 

Congrats! The water is barely 50 here. Before I got a wetsuit I would just do the waders and layers but I was staying in water I knew I could stand in. I just got a 5mm farmer John and wore it last week but it was 70 degrees out and I thought I was gonna die of heat stroke. Gonna try a 2mm and a neoprene jacket if need be. It’s going to be mid June before the water is warm enough to go without some protection.... meanwhile I watched a father and daughter launch their kayaks the other day in shorts and T shirts and paddle away with their PFDs just sitting on their laps, not actually on their bodies.

5mm is really thick.

i would look at a 3m or 2/3 surfing full body suit.  The surfing suits have such great elasticity vs other suits.  I surfed all winter here in a 2/3 in water temps down to 54 degree.

Most likely on a sup fishing you will be close to shore.  If you have an accident a 2/3 should keep you warm enough long enough to get back to your board or swim  to shore.

If you are a mile from shore then yes something thicker that can keep you warm longer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mightyrime said:

5mm is really thick.

i would look at a 3m or 2/3 surfing full body suit.  The surfing suits have such great elasticity vs other suits.  I surfed all winter here in a 2/3 in water temps down to 54 degree.

Most likely on a sup fishing you will be close to shore.  If you have an accident a 2/3 should keep you warm enough long enough to get back to your board or swim  to shore.

If you are a mile from shore then yes something thicker that can keep you warm longer.

Its what I use in mtk in October. I like it because it floats me. There are plenty of times when I have to flush it. It's fun to cast and float. Its 100 stretch 5 body, 4 legs, 3 arms.  5/4/3.  Really sweet. 

Edited by crazybellringer

9 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

Mightyrime, when I first saw the L4 in person I almost had a panic attack.  Like, "ummmm, what did I get myself into?!?!"

When I took mi e out of the box and put it on my back I thought the same thing.

20190416_174558.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 PM, mightyrime said:

What a deal!

On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 PM, mightyrime said:

Geeez.........what to do you think it’d cost to ship to CT:howdy: