ECFlyer33

Paddle Board recommendations for Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BrokeOff said:

You should checkout the microskiff site for a long review on the Rover.  I was headed towards the Rover until I got some feedback about the actual experiences guys were having.  It seems too big to throw around on top of cars or in truck beds.  The wheels used to cart it are impossible to remove once in the water.  It’s design and construction don’t hold up all that well. It is still a paddleboard with a motor.  We aren’t talking about skiff grade glassing techniques.

So pretty quickly guys are finding out that it needs a trailer and you need to be pretty gentle with it.  At that point why not buy a used Gladesman, Gheenoe, or Towee for an extra two grand.

That’s my plan now.  Paddleboard this year, then a purpose built two man microskiff in five years.

Agreed. Although I could probably car top(no truck) the 105 pound rover hard board, it’s also 14 feet long so it would be a beast and likely would sit in garage... and as you mentioned, once you need to go to a trailer, for the $$$, might as well get an actual skiff or even a soloskiff or something. The Rover inflatable is lighter at 60lbs, only 12 feet long, can easily car top it or fold it up and throw in trunk or on a shelf in the garage and it’s cheaper and wider at 40inches wide. I think it would be killer with a small electric motor. The new Bote Hard boards come in Gatorshell which is supposed to be much stronger than their older boards. 

13 hours ago, mikemontauk said:

Best of luck. Document the build.

Cheers,

Mike

I will, i'll start a thread here when i really get into it.

For the retail price of the bote board, you could build your own similar sup and a bixpy jet setup.   I'm lucky enough to be able to do a trade for some original artwork for a bixpy jet setup ;)

I do like the bote tackle rack, so i'll probably purchase one of those and make the same hole patterns as the bote.  I'm not sure if i will add any other tackle racks / etc, I don't like stuff at my feet. I'm a minimalist for sure, not adding a fish finder or anything like that. 

for anyone interested, if you google greenlight surf supply you'll see they have a pre cut foam fishing SUP blank for about 160 bucks.  its shape is similar to the bote rackham, I just need the shape the nose / front....  

I've some experience to share although not as in-depth as many. I have both a inflatable Tahoe Alpine Explorer and a Native Versa Board. I've fished some from both but think for a bunch of reasons - both fishing reasons and family reasons - I am more into the inflatable. It is lighter, easier to get into and out of the water, it supports my somewhat massive girth, 6' x 270 lbs, provides the stability to cast and also is cool for my numerous sons to putz around on at the beach and stuff. I've rigged a large watertight Plano box with rod holders, etc that I lash to the deck on account of being an inflatable the Tahoe does not have as many rigging options. The Versa board being a kayak/SUP hybrid is probably fundamentally compromised as a dedicated example of either. Heavy, cumbersome, hard to get to beach/into action. But it can be much more comprehensively rigged for fishing. The versa board I have I got used and came with a bunch of rod holders and stuff that could be mounted in its tracks. And the guy had rigged an anchor trolly.

I think for anyone thinking about sorta kinda SUP fishing - like me - I think the inflatable is the way to go. Having said that if I ever got enough free time to actually go out and dedicate myself to fishing I would pursue one of the more dedicated fishing boards.

If you don’t mind something slightly larger than the usual paddle board but much more stable, silent and spacious, this is a wonderful option.

I also own a Pau Hana Big EZ which is lighter but also very stable but is not as stealthy and spacious.

F2CB8F20-2C4B-4341-A2A7-2487C2474527.jpeg

A47C567D-FD6B-44AD-BC16-87C64AF0EE81.jpeg

Just found a place that’s setting up a zero percent financing product.  Makes the L4Expedition much more attractive.

Has anyone used a push pole with a Live Watersports board?

Gheenoe is cheaper than any of these options,about 1K for a new one,used can be had for less.A 13' weighs about 120 w/ nothing attached and I can throw it onto my roof rack w/ a two step process(lift the bow onto the rack,lift and push).A 5hp and a trolling motor complete the pkg but I used just the 45lb trolling motor for years. Ridiculously stable.Two ppl can stand and fish w/ no problem.Can stand up and paddle for a better view or put a poling platform for an even better view plus still fish when guys on boards are back on shore.

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Gheenoe is cheaper than any of these options,about 1K for a new one,used can be had for less.A 13' weighs about 120 w/ nothing attached and I can throw it onto my roof rack w/ a two step process(lift the bow onto the rack,lift and push).A 5hp and a trolling motor complete the pkg but I used just the 45lb trolling motor for years. Ridiculously stable.Two ppl can stand and fish w/ no problem.Can stand up and paddle for a better view or put a poling platform for an even better view plus still fish when guys on boards are back on shore.

Can it handle green water over the bow?  That’s one of the reasons I passed on a Gheenoe, but it was just theoretical at that point.

31 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

Can it handle green water over the bow?  That’s one of the reasons I passed on a Gheenoe, but it was just theoretical at that point.

I've never had it out in water that big.It would take at least a 2' wave to top it and I'm on shore before that happens.On a calm day I'll go a mile offshore but that's about it.When I'm on the Cape I'm out on days when boards aren't.

I've had my yak out in 5-7' waves but I wasn't fishing but on my way back.The forecast called for light winds and 1-2'ers and it didn't go like that at all.Would not want to be out in that in a Gheenoe or a board.A highsider gives you more leeway but mine is the lowside.

I don't think there's much board fishing that gets done w/ any kind of thrash goin on.Same w/ a yak/Gheenoe,I find it hard to focus on fishing when it's kickin...

Picked up the Bote Rover inflatable that I’ve been eyeing for a while. Car topped with ease at less than 60lbs. Lift over head, place on top of car. This was my primary reason for not getting a hard board or a bigger, wider kayak. I don’t want to trailer anything. Haven’t tried it yet and have no motor yet but probably going to try paddling around at low tide back bay some time this weekend and will end up with a trolling motor to start. 

729A80B6-8404-4F61-B8A3-526517D6CC6B.jpeg

On 3/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, BrokeOff said:

The eagle has landed...in the bed of my truck:

41F95843-BA25-4352-82E6-918ED159BC2C.jpeg

Nice!  looked at these too but they didn’t have the motor mount on their website or an email contact and I was leaning towards inflatable. Let us know how it is

Stripsetter, mine is 62 lb and I don't enjoy moving it.  I think it will just take me some time to get used to.  Currently I am terrified of damaging it.

I know it's an old thread, but I bought a Bote HD Bugslinger last fall, dying to get it out in a few months. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, it's definitely going to be interesting fishing off of it!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, BrokeOff said:

Stripsetter, mine is 62 lb and I don't enjoy moving it.  I think it will just take me some time to get used to.  Currently I am terrified of damaging it.

Congrats..14ftr is a beast i opt on the 12ftr 12lbs makes a big difference especially on that particular design 

Edited by thaistick