ECFlyer33

Paddle Board recommendations for Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, Cpalms said:

I haven’t.  I have used a bunch of SUPs

over the year and 5 minutes into getting on the Live board I knew it was for me. On the other hand I am no expert SUP guy and I defer to others here.  

I will probably be using it a bit different than most.  I want kind of a mothership operation for flats fishing the east end of LI. Put this in in my boat, blast over to a flat, fish it from the SUP, then blast over to another flat when I’m done. That’s the idea anyway.

I really like my Live Watersports....but it's really big. I recently paddled it to Block Island from Montauk, and I kept pace with most people on race boards. As the earlier comments state: You will not find a more stable platform. I'm 6'4" 280, and I put the whole family on it.Getting it on and off the truck might be an issue as well. I also have a 14' monohull board, that Mike Becker @ Nature Shapes made for me. That has made the crossing to Block Island a few times as well. It's a beefed up version of the BARK Eliminator. Displacement hull, quiet, fast and stable. Not able to add much more weight. I used the Bote inflatables in Belize, and they were just fine for flat water. Great platform and handled me, gear and beer just fine. You get some wind, and they are a bitch. If you are deploying from a boat, those inflatables might be the ticket.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikemontauk

On 2/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, mikemontauk said:

If you are deploying from a boat, those inflatables might be the ticket.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah I hear ya.  Lot to think about. Good thread.

do you have the 12 or 14 ft Live SUP?

Yolo Yak is worth a look, I love mine and beat the heck out of it floating rivers around here.  Roto molded tri-hull shape, 11'10", 58 lbs, 340 capacity, super stable.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:44 PM, mightyrime said:

Can you find the Pau Hana stuff on the east coast?  It is a popular brand here in California.  The big eze angler is really nice and very stable and has all the threaded inserts for components.  I never use my inflatable since i got it.  Here they pop up on craigslist.  I think i spent $650 on it used.  Its is a very good design for a large person.  Also a deeper fin will increase your stability as well.  I run a 2 +1 setup with a 9" fin and 2 4".  I dont use that setup in the flats but the open sea.

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.40.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.41.00 PM.png

How much do you weigh?

1 hour ago, BrokeOff said:

How much do you weigh?

i weigh 180 and use the smaller size one.  I have added my kid and still been very bouyant...so that puts us at 220lb

also almost all boards are eps / epoxy constuction which has more buoyancy than standard foam.  Some of the nicer handmade boards are not eps and thus dont float as much...but i think that is more on the performance / race boards.  

I just drove home from NJ after surf day with a 13' ft giant box on top of my car...

I picked up a 12' by 34" wide foam SUP blank from greenlight surf supply...

gonna make my own fishing sup this winter/spring/summer however long it takes....

those bote boards look cool, but their price tag is a little crazy for something I'm going to beat up in the salt.

1 hour ago, Fuzzytrout said:

I just drove home from NJ after surf day with a 13' ft giant box on top of my car...

I picked up a 12' by 34" wide foam SUP blank from greenlight surf supply...

gonna make my own fishing sup this winter/spring/summer however long it takes....

those bote boards look cool, but their price tag is a little crazy for something I'm going to beat up in the salt.

Nice congrats....whatever the budget or how you use the board its just another fun project to our addiction ,just remember to use common sense and have the necessary safety equipment (life vest,leash/tether,radio whistle or flares etc)before the paddle board thingy i kayak fished a lot and witnessed accidents and deaths that could've been avoided .

thanks bud but this isn't my first rodeo been paddling around RI and CT for 15 years and I'm still here...  this will be my first sup though..

i moved to falmouth in sept, maybe we will cross paths this year.... 

I have a Bote Drift inflatable that I got on clearance last year. Very light, easy to accessorize. I just leave it inflated spring and summer. At 6ft tall, 260 pounds, it’s a bit unstable for me at 32 inches wide and I consider myself to have good balance. I actually added outrigger I made from pvc and it’s super stable but that’s just something else to transport. I’m thinking of upgrading to a wider inflatable board. I like the idea of inflatable because of how easy they are to transport, travel with or store out of the way at home. I’ve actually been thinking about the Bote Rover inflatable with a trolling motor or Torqueedo. You can put a 6hp motor on it but not sure I want a gas motor. Paddle board is best way to stand and sight cast skinny shallow water without a flats boat. 

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

I have a Bote Drift inflatable that I got on clearance last year. Very light, easy to accessorize. I just leave it inflated spring and summer. At 6ft tall, 260 pounds, it’s a bit unstable for me at 32 inches wide and I consider myself to have good balance. I actually added outrigger I made from pvc and it’s super stable but that’s just something else to transport. I’m thinking of upgrading to a wider inflatable board. I like the idea of inflatable because of how easy they are to transport, travel with or store out of the way at home. I’ve actually been thinking about the Bote Rover inflatable with a trolling motor or Torqueedo. You can put a 6hp motor on it but not sure I want a gas motor. Paddle board is best way to stand and sight cast skinny shallow water without a flats boat. 

You should checkout the microskiff site for a long review on the Rover.  I was headed towards the Rover until I got some feedback about the actual experiences guys were having.  It seems too big to throw around on top of cars or in truck beds.  The wheels used to cart it are impossible to remove once in the water.  It’s design and construction don’t hold up all that well. It is still a paddleboard with a motor.  We aren’t talking about skiff grade glassing techniques.

So pretty quickly guys are finding out that it needs a trailer and you need to be pretty gentle with it.  At that point why not buy a used Gladesman, Gheenoe, or Towee for an extra two grand.

That’s my plan now.  Paddleboard this year, then a purpose built two man microskiff in five years.