dannyplug1

fluid bed is it worth it

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was looking at the numerous videos in regard to powder coating jigs.  Some guys use a fluid bed as opposed to a toarch or a heat gun.  Is it worth the expense to purchase or make a fluid bed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 Yes.

Just made mine on Sunday for about $35, and it was only that much because I didn't take any time to shop around or "accumulate" parts beforehand. Aquarium pump with dual outlets, a double valve and some tubing all from Wally world, and some pvc bits from the plumbing racks at Home Depot. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining how folks have made theirs, you're basically just blowing air from the pump into a pipe, which has a "cup" made from another piece of pipe, with a filter between them. I used basic printer paper for a filter, works fine. The airflow blows thru the filter and makes the powder paint grow and swirl around inside the cup, dip a hot jig in and blam it's got a nice even coating on it, ready for baking. Easier than dipping into the bottle of powder

Here's a pic of mine:

 

IMG_20190212_172043924.jpg.f16a52a3408fc1a06063e7eb8f5744d2.jpg

It's an easy build, on the board, starting from the left is a 2" black cap, above it is a 2-1/2" long piece of 2" pvc pipe, then a 2" coupling on top. A Tee fitting is drilled and epoxied into the piece of pipe, and 2 tubes run back to 2 valves, and 2 more tubes run back to the air pump. The air pump runs as soon as it's plugged in, it's important to make sure that the valves are closed before plugging it in. I might put an inline switch on the wire, I may get to that around 2025 or so

The cup for the powder is a 2-1/2" piece of 2" pvc with a 2" test cap on top for a lid and a piece of printer paper taped to the bottom for a filter. Stick it into the coupling and remove the lid, start the pump and adjust the airflow till the powder rises and grows and swirls around a bit. I have 4 cups set up for the 4 colors I use most.

 

A few blind jigs hanging, waiting for eyes.

 

IMG_20190212_171954458.jpg.ccfd46fae9d43217323d04705c7d9edc.jpg

Edited by Ed White
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely worth it a guy on eBay was selling them so cheap I didn’t even try to build my own. It makes the paint very even if you plan on doing any number of jig it is a must have in my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow up question.  I have seen a ton of videos on making a fluid bed.  looks pretty simple even for me.  fI have also seen commercial fludid beds at barlos jans net craft etc for about 100  Will a commercially made one work better than a home made version?  Thanks charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, dannyplug1 said:

Some guys use a fluid bed as opposed to a torch or a heat gun. 

Wait... what ???

Totally different things

Fluid bed just keeps the powder from packing down

You need to heat the jig before dipping in the fluid bed

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask if anyone tried powder coating over old jigs? If I heat and dunk into fluid bed will these be worse? 

Sorry to OP for adding on to your original question. 

20190214_102932.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Ed White said:

 Yes.

Just made mine on Sunday for about $35, and it was only that much because I didn't take any time to shop around or "accumulate" parts beforehand. Aquarium pump with dual outlets, a double valve and some tubing all from Wally world, and some pvc bits from the plumbing racks at Home Depot. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining how folks have made theirs, you're basically just blowing air from the pump into a pipe, which has a "cup" made from another piece of pipe, with a filter between them. I used basic printer paper for a filter, works fine. The airflow blows thru the filter and makes the powder paint grow and swirl around inside the cup, dip a hot jig in and blam it's got a nice even coating on it, ready for baking. Easier than dipping into the bottle of powder

Here's a pic of mine:

 

IMG_20190212_172043924.jpg.f16a52a3408fc1a06063e7eb8f5744d2.jpg

It's an easy build, on the board, starting from the left is a 2" black cap, above it is a 2-1/2" long piece of 2" pvc pipe, then a 2" coupling on top. A Tee fitting is drilled and epoxied into the piece of pipe, and 2 tubes run back to 2 valves, and 2 more tubes run back to the air pump. The air pump runs as soon as it's plugged in, it's important to make sure that the valves are closed before plugging it in. I might put an inline switch on the wire, I may get to that around 2025 or so

The cup for the powder is a 2-1/2" piece of 2" pvc with a 2" test cap on top for a lid and a piece of printer paper taped to the bottom for a filter. Stick it into the coupling and remove the lid, start the pump and adjust the airflow till the powder rises and grows and swirls around a bit. I have 4 cups set up for the 4 colors I use most.

 

A few blind jigs hanging, waiting for eyes.

 

IMG_20190212_171954458.jpg.ccfd46fae9d43217323d04705c7d9edc.jpg

 

Looks great!

I have to eventually make one. I have just been doing a few with the shake and bake method. 

20190210_183908.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll catch. I was doing the heat them up and dip them in the bottle of powder thing for a few years finally decided to try something different.I don't think the fish will care either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 3:36 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Can I ask if anyone tried powder coating over old jigs? If I heat and dunk into fluid bed will these be worse? 

Sorry to OP for adding on to your original question. 

20190214_102932.jpg

Never tried it, but be careful how hot you make them, the old powder will bubble/burn if to hot. As long as the powder sticks to the jig after heating it, it will flux over in the oven and turn smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, BLT said:

Never tried it, but be careful how hot you make them, the old powder will bubble/burn if to hot. As long as the powder sticks to the jig after heating it, it will flux over in the oven and turn smooth.

They came out kind of sloppy but the original ones were given to me by an old salt and the hooks are strong so I did it anyway. 

Thanks .

20190217_170737.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

They came out kind of sloppy but the original ones were given to me by an old salt and the hooks are strong so I did it anyway. 

Thanks .

20190217_170737.jpg

They will catch. Be careful when you clean the eye out. Baked on powder paint can be sharp when you clean it out, and cause line to cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, BLT said:

They will catch. Be careful when you clean the eye out. Baked on powder paint can be sharp when you clean it out, and cause line to cut.

Ok thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much heat and or too much powder. If you see smoke when you dip your jig, that's too much heat.  Less is more, especially near the hook eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.