RedGreen

How do you cope?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Well, how?

Winter has me absolutely losing my mind because I haven't fished in nearly four months. Sleeting and snowing and frigid outside so I can't even practice my casting for longer than ten minutes at a time without risking frostbite. I've already had a couple run-ins with it since November last year. I can't tie flies because I'm basically set for spring and it would be dumb to keep tying what I don't need and waste materials and resources, so basically all I can do is wait and daydream (which I do, A LOT) of warmer days and a tug at the end of the line.

What do you do when you can't fish for long periods of time? How do you cope?

One nice thing about living in the PNW is the temperate climate. 

You can fish year round both salt or fresh, even with the rare snow storm we just experience.

I'd be going nuts if I hadn't fished for four months. 

I hope spring comes early for you Red.

SF

I've been snowboarding most weekends (although rather be fishing if I could)...otherwise I have been tying flies and trying to stop my 1 year old from destroying the house :)

You could always fish for trout...I was planning on doing that this winter but still haven't gotten around to it.

I get glued to the internet and buy a bunch of stuff I don't need, instead of selling the stuff I already have that I don't need. There is definitely something wrong with me! I am starting to agree with my wife.

9 mins ago, GilV said:

I get glued to the internet and buy a bunch of stuff I don't need, instead of selling the stuff I already have that I don't need. There is definitely something wrong with me! I am starting to agree with my wife.

x2!!!

I hang out on the internet, but I do that most of the year.  Mainly I tie flies, not that I need anymore.  Usually I pick a pattern that I haven't used in a while or have never used.  Last year it was the mop fly.  This year the Zonker is the fly.  I've been tying for over 20 years and the only time I've ever tied a zonker was in a class I took when I first started tying. Never even fished one.  I go to shows and in the last couple of weeks, fishing flea markets with my fishing buddies(none of them fly fish).   I've a couple of projects on going.  I stripped the guides off a 4 piece 8 wgt fly rod I brought from Cabela's 15 or so years ago and replacing them with the guides I prefer.  I've done some minor repairs, replacing tip tops or guides, on my buddies rods.   I'm tying up a couple of boxes of flies for my niece and her husband who just moved to Vermont from South Dakota.   Plan to make some in-line spinner baits for myself and my friends and refurbish some of the beat up lures/plugs we brought cheap at the flea markets.  I'm retired so it keeps me busy.

28 mins ago, GilV said:

I get glued to the internet and buy a bunch of stuff I don't need, instead of selling the stuff I already have that I don't need.

Yup!  

I also know a guy that gets so stir crazy that he goes on a party boat for cod (or whatever is biting in February).

I don't even think about it--I move on to other hobbies and then I need to kind of get myself jumpstarted somehow to get back into fishing mode. Going to get started soon repairing my waders and tying a few flies. Sometimes it can be difficult to get back into the swing of things. 

First I refinish rods that may or may not need it (rewrapping old guides etc. That takes me through till Jnauary. Then I tie flies I'll need next year. Then I tie flies that will never see the water, bizarre creations that look like mushrooms were legal. I ski when I can - if there's snow I cross country ski every night. This year trips to Puerto Rico in December and again in March, so it's one of my saner years. In past years I've put on the neoprene and gone out practice casting in wind in Salem harbor on my lunch hour. And if it's not brutally cold I'll don the 4/3 suit and take my waveski out surfing.

I try to fish once per week.  I didn't fish this past weekend, but I did fish twice last week.  I am up to 60 straight months in waders in a river in Maine.  Typically, February is the hardest month to get a fish, but I've got a couple of weeks left to get my catching streak to 12 straight months....