Where to pick up casting eggs?

Rate this topic

Jsunkler

Arts and crafts stores sell wooden eggs in various sizes, e.g. AC Moore. AC Moore is a crafts retail chain based in NJ, and has a bunch of locations there.

I've also used old beaten up Roberts Ranger plugs from my lure scrap pile, with hook removed of course.

Pfantum Pfishah

You put a screw eye in each end. One end goes to your main line. You attach a 3-4 ft leader to the other end and the lure to the end of the ldr. Its used as a casting weight  to deliver small lures and flies a longer distance when needed. 

Pfantum Pfishah

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

So is the egg meant as a teaser to attract a fish's attention through the murky water?

Not for stripers. Its main purpose is as a casting weight to increase distance with very light lures or flies. 

Although some use it as an splasher attractant for albies/bonito, but typically that's a popping plug body ahead of a fly rather than a casting egg. 

Pfantum Pfishah

I've been wanting to try a casting egg. I fish both spin and fly and it seems like a way to use my home tied flies and jigs on those days when spinning is the only option because of wind or high surf, or when fishing over rocks. Try online at saltwaterplugs(dot)com. At 8.50 each, I'm tempted to make my own.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.