Jsunkler

Where to pick up casting eggs?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Looking to add casting eggs and teasers to arsenal. Where do you recommend buying the eggs? Also I have seen a few different sizes (1, 2, 3, 3+ oz) which sizes do you guys typically use

I found wood eggs at hobby lobby. They have 2 sizes. The ones about the size of a large chicken egg weigh an ounce and a half. Drill um, paint um, wire um and you’re all set. Pack of 4 cost $4.

Lazy way out is to use a heavy popper. Take off the rear hook, or both. Tie the teaser to the rear.

You could drill and insert a nail to hang the teaser hook if you want but it’s not necessary. 

Arts and crafts stores sell wooden eggs in various sizes, e.g. AC Moore. AC Moore is a crafts retail chain based in NJ, and has a bunch of locations there.

I've also used old beaten up Roberts Ranger plugs from my lure scrap pile, with hook removed of course.

With easter coming up. Try your local craft store like michaels, etc. Stop by homedepot to pick up some screw eyes. Bag of stainless steel screw for the hanger, a can of spray paint in your favorite color and you are in business.

You put a screw eye in each end. One end goes to your main line. You attach a 3-4 ft leader to the other end and the lure to the end of the ldr. Its used as a casting weight  to deliver small lures and flies a longer distance when needed. 

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

So is the egg meant as a teaser to attract a fish's attention through the murky water?

Not for stripers. Its main purpose is as a casting weight to increase distance with very light lures or flies. 

Although some use it as an splasher attractant for albies/bonito, but typically that's a popping plug body ahead of a fly rather than a casting egg. 

I've been wanting to try a casting egg. I fish both spin and fly and it seems like a way to use my home tied flies and jigs on those days when spinning is the only option because of wind or high surf, or when fishing over rocks. Try online at saltwaterplugs(dot)com. At 8.50 each, I'm tempted to make my own.