titleguy

Hendricksons

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I'm on the Cape almost all the time now, but for 30 yrs I lived within after-work driving distance, like 30 mins from the WB. I agree with what ya said. The combo of tailwaters and unregulated streams can make for pretty different hatch timeframes on different streams/reaches within the region. I remember a couple years when the peak of the Hendersons on the WB bout the 3rd week of April...because of very low reservoir releases under the old regulations, combined with unusually high air temps. But at the same time, it could've been that the naturally-flowing streams were high and cold. I'm gonna pick my birthday...May 12.. as good as any day  to choose for reliable Hendricksons. On the other hand, occasionally he WB is almost unfishable until late June. :waah:In which event, you gotta look elsewhere in the area.

titleguy's spent plenty of time around there, I think he'll get right back in the saddle. :th:

I have drift boats so it’s never really unfishable.

the other thing to remember is that the west branch gets two different Hendrickson batches it has the full blown bugs everyone is familiar with and as that winds down you get what Caucci and Nastasi termed the   X’s which are a subspecies and are a 16.  They have since been classified but after years of working for Al I still refer to them as X’s.  They will typically continue a week or two after the regular Hendrickson hatch is over on the main stem, east branch and the beaverkill.  The other thing a lot of guys miss is how good the morning caddis fishing can be that time of year.  A lot of years it’s better than the Hendrickson fishing

In the olden days, I would trundle out to my spot at Cairn's Pool in the dark with my mug of tea and pipe and wait for the sun to come up and the caddis to start.  I also had some spectacular days on the EB on caddis.  I know a lot more about bugs now than I did then.... Really looking forward to this.

I felt like I was reading into a mirror, although I may not have the fishing chops you guys have. I too used to fish the Hendricksons on the Beaverkill and haven’t done so in 20 years. It was an annual fishing trip for my father, uncle and I from about 1981 until my uncles passing in 1995. We used to go the last weekend in April. Sometimes we were a little early, but most times we were right on it.  Used to stay at the Red Rose- Room 1 and fished the Beaverkill exclusively. I loved it.

During your time frame you should see some Hendricksons...may have to go up or down the west and east branch to find them but when you do, the fish are willing.  The early season big bugs are much easier to fish than the mid summer sulphurs.  Have always found friendly fish around the junction during that time period.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:35 PM, Rapidfflow0 said:

In a normal year that first week of May is the prime Hendrickson time.  I’ve seen them as early as 3rd week of April and as late as 3rd week in May.  The biggest thing to remember is that on the beaverkill/upper Delaware system the hatch maybe over on some sections and just getting started on other sections or rivers in the system.  I guided on the Delaware for over 12 years and still have a house and boats on the river.  I would tell you if I had to pick one week to hit Hendrickson’s that is the week.  

Yup, that is spot on. All depends on the temps and flows. I have tried for the H hatch at the Delaware River Club for seven or eight years from the early 1990s to mid 2000s and only hit them once. Other times it was roaring mud flows or it was cold and I was too early. Good luck. 

Hard to plan.  I've had hendricksons and Quills on the Big D as early as March 27th some years back.  It depends on the weather.  In a lot of years the first week of May was past prime for Hendricksons and turning into prime caddis week.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, titleguy said:

Looking at May 5-12 right now.  Been a long time since I have been there for that period of time.  I may bring my drift boat for a day (or two) on the Big D.  Looking forward to reconnecting with some old spots and hearing the traffic on the expansion joints on 17 while camping at Roscoe Campsite.

Never been, but it sounds like a lot of fun and maybe something to plan for next year.  Looking forward to your report back ........ pics please, and good luck!