titleguy

Hendricksons

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Planning on a trip to Roscoe in search of Hendricksons this spring.   This used to be an annual pilgrimage for me but I have not been in about 20 years.  All things being equal weather and water wise, I am looking at the week of May 8- too late, too early? 

I’ve been to the West Branch of the Delaware a couple of times lately in that time window and the Hendrickson hatch was on. Of course there are no guarantees in this business.

JC

I used to fish Roscoe for a week every year in the late 80s early 90s after exams- hit the Hendricksons very well several times.  Trying to figure out my schedule right now.

I think my longest stretch in Roscoe was 11 years in a row and like you it was over 20 years when I did that but I never went that early. I think we usually tried to to hit there around the the 3rd week of June.

The fishing in June was excellent and we did not have rivers that were all blown out. If my memory serves correctly we initially started going in late May and the Hendricksons were around but the water was in many cases an issue which is why we eventually settled for June.

I am sure there are stream hatch guides that could answer you question but I would not be surprised you will get an answer from someone, this time of the year there is not a lot to do but surf the web anyway.

I did a quick check and found a hatch guide and the Hendricksons start in Mid  April thru Mid May.

In a normal year that first week of May is the prime Hendrickson time.  I’ve seen them as early as 3rd week of April and as late as 3rd week in May.  The biggest thing to remember is that on the beaverkill/upper Delaware system the hatch maybe over on some sections and just getting started on other sections or rivers in the system.  I guided on the Delaware for over 12 years and still have a house and boats on the river.  I would tell you if I had to pick one week to hit Hendrickson’s that is the week.  

I feel that the old Art Flick's streamside guide from 1970 still has a whole lot of viable information regarding insect data that was packed into a small book.

FT

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Delaware River Club has a good hatch chart

around there 50-55 degree water temps hatching usually begins 

Edited by Hook I

Looking at May 5-12 right now.  Been a long time since I have been there for that period of time.  I may bring my drift boat for a day (or two) on the Big D.  Looking forward to reconnecting with some old spots and hearing the traffic on the expansion joints on 17 while camping at Roscoe Campsite.

I have left the Striper Surf beaches after almost 50 years & making my way the last few years in the Catskills region trout streams . Having to meet a few SOL members on the water this coming season would be great . a pm is always welcomed The last year 2018 the water CFS were pretty high & fast at times difficult but doable with safety .  It's always good have someone to be in contact with on the water .                    Chuck 

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

I have left the Striper Surf beaches after almost 50 years & making my way the last few years in the Catskills region trout streams . Having to meet a few SOL members on the water this coming season would be great . a pm is always welcomed The last year 2018 the water CFS were pretty high & fast at times difficult but doable with safety .  It's always good have someone to be in contact with on the water .                    Chuck 

I will be in touch for intel as it gets closer Chuck.  It's been may years since I have been in Roscoe for the hatch.  Can't wait....  I will have a new glass rod for the trip, paired with a hardy product....

28 mins ago, titleguy said:

I will be in touch for intel as it gets closer Chuck.  It's been may years since I have been in Roscoe for the hatch.  Can't wait....  I will have a new glass rod for the trip, paired with a hardy product....

:th: