Best undercoating for Daily driver/buggy

StripersBR

3 hours ago, GilV said:

POR 15 works great but it is expensive. Once it is on the rusting process is stopped and you probably won't get anymore rust if you coat the whole frame. I was turned onto it by a autobody friend that used it on his personal Big Foot Ford pickup he restored (what a beast that truck is). Rust inhibitor works and I think it is less expensive and since you used it in the past and know first hand that it worked and what it takes to apply, I think you answered your own questions.

Good luck

Gil

That is why when i first got this cherokee 7 years ago, i put it on stands and slapped 2 coats of bedliner off of it. I hate fixing rust after rebuilding those 2 broncos, and others also. You misunderstood me though. We used the rust converter first, then put the undercoating on. Its not too pricey though if it works. Time to call both companies and hear what they have to say. 

If you just paint a product like por 15 over a rusted frame your results will be poor.  Your better off with a product like waxoyl or fluid film or even bar and chain oil sprayed with a special gun and adaptors to get the product in all the nooks and crannies and do this once a year.  Avoid undercoating like ziebart bc it can hold water in and make things worse 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice griffon gaff it.......  I got one too....

I do the crankcase oil trick myself.   Wet a rag with motor oil.  Hit all the seams underneath, oil pans, brake lines, etc...   The exposed stuff you see, I hit with POR when it acts up.   IF I do it nice, sandblast, zinc etching primer, and paint.   I usually put naval jelly on the pitted stuff before the primer paint.

The sprinkler trick gets salt off too.   Maybe run a fan underneath overnight to let it dry off quicker....   Removing salt is never bad.

I now live in Canada. When I lived on LI rustproofing at the time was thick and "waxy". Maybe things have changed down there since but up here everybody rustproofs their vehicles. None of the products are "waxy" but are liquid and never dry to the touch by design. The liquid consistency allows for further penetration and product literature explains how this viscosity "creeps" into nooks and crannies and since it never dries will continue to do so indefinitely as the vehicle is driven and flexes, etc. The price to do an entire car/SUV/pick-up is under $100 CAD (cash) and annual or every other year "touch-ups" take a few minutes and usually run $35-$50. Prices vary but the products they use, there are several brands, are all similar in viscosity and work much the same. There is absolutely NO comparison between these products and the older types I formerly used on Long Island. These are so much more effective it is like night and day. Some brands have a slight pink hue while others are clear or brown as an aid to see missed areas during application. There seems to be no need in cleaning a used vehicles undercarriage first as product is applied using extreme pressure. I watched an older pick-up with caked on dried out mud get sprayed and there was not a speck of dirt left after application as the pressure "sandblasted" the undercarriage and looked like brand new when finished. I wouldn't consider anything else on my next vehicle purchase  up here. Stays slightly "oily" to the touch indefinitely so new dirt/sand/salt doesn't adhere to it.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:53 AM, SC said:

I now live in Canada. When I lived on LI rustproofing at the time was thick and "waxy". Maybe things have changed down there since but up here everybody rustproofs their vehicles. None of the products are "waxy" but are liquid and never dry to the touch by design. The liquid consistency allows for further penetration and product literature explains how this viscosity "creeps" into nooks and crannies and since it never dries will continue to do so indefinitely as the vehicle is driven and flexes, etc. The price to do an entire car/SUV/pick-up is under $100 CAD (cash) and annual or every other year "touch-ups" take a few minutes and usually run $35-$50. Prices vary but the products they use, there are several brands, are all similar in viscosity and work much the same. There is absolutely NO comparison between these products and the older types I formerly used on Long Island. These are so much more effective it is like night and day. Some brands have a slight pink hue while others are clear or brown as an aid to see missed areas during application. There seems to be no need in cleaning a used vehicles undercarriage first as product is applied using extreme pressure. I watched an older pick-up with caked on dried out mud get sprayed and there was not a speck of dirt left after application as the pressure "sandblasted" the undercarriage and looked like brand new when finished. I wouldn't consider anything else on my next vehicle purchase  up here. Stays slightly "oily" to the touch indefinitely so new dirt/sand/salt doesn't adhere to it.

Do you know what the name of some of these products are?  Is it Fluid Film?

6 hours ago, z-man said:

Do you know what the name of some of these products are?  Is it Fluid Film?

No, I've never seen Fluid Film used up here but Rust Check and Krown Rust Control are two but there are many other brands, including "no names" that all seem to share the same characteristics. When I lived on NY I used the old style and eventually they flaked, trapped moisture underneath etc.  Only my opinion but these type products that never dry and constantly creep seem to do a fantastic job. Mud and dirt won't stick to the undercarriage either but even if it did it would be blasted clean on the next application. When I questioned the dealer about applying on a dirty undercarriage he invited me to watch the procedure and was amazed as the product removed the caked on dried out dirt and mud on a used vehicle first time application and left the underneath looking brand new. I believe a similar product is sold in spray cans for homeowner touch-ups but the pressure used is what forces the product into every seam and crevice. Smells not objectionable. The dealer covered the exhaust and was careful around wires, etc.

On March 21, 2019 at 5:44 PM, SC said:

No, I've never seen Fluid Film used up here but Rust Check and Krown Rust Control are two but there are many other brands, including "no names" that all seem to share the same characteristics. When I lived on NY I used the old style and eventually they flaked, trapped moisture underneath etc.  Only my opinion but these type products that never dry and constantly creep seem to do a fantastic job. Mud and dirt won't stick to the undercarriage either but even if it did it would be blasted clean on the next application. When I questioned the dealer about applying on a dirty undercarriage he invited me to watch the procedure and was amazed as the product removed the caked on dried out dirt and mud on a used vehicle first time application and left the underneath looking brand new. I believe a similar product is sold in spray cans for homeowner touch-ups but the pressure used is what forces the product into every seam and crevice. Smells not objectionable. The dealer covered the exhaust and was careful around wires, etc.

You didnt read my first post then obviously. 

Anyone use phosphoric acid as rust inhibitor before coating? Thanks. 

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

On March 27, 2019 at 2:00 PM, adoboboy said:

Anyone use phosphoric acid as rust inhibitor before coating? Thanks. 

I dont remember what i used years ago. It was a liquid, rust converter that changed color after you coated the rust. We then undercoated my brothers old bronco with it. And then did the same with my bronco. Works great, just forget the name of it, not that I cared to remember when i was a teenager LOL.