Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaseB

The Diabeetuzz

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Any business person has to charge enough to cover expenses and make a profit too or they won't be in business long, doesn't matter whether you're a doctor, a baker, or a candlestick maker. Insurance premiums are business expenses. I still say it's the patient who ultimately pays the insurance premium through what they are charged per office visit/procedure/operation.

I learned some about this while learning about how horrible socialized healthcare is. Patient has insurance and sees doc. Doc bills insurance more than what it would normally cost because insurance companies will negotiate lower, hopefully to or slightly above what it should cost. From what I gather this isn’t what happens often though. It’s usually at a slight loss (less than desired margin). So patient is fixed and goes home while the insurance company raises premiums and docs have to fight harder for their money. So next to useless ambulance chasing lawyers I’d put the insurance companies... on the firing line. 

2 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

Does huffin Carbona count ?? Cause I knew some people who our in line for REAL coin if that's the case ....

I don't know, they'll have to call the number on the TV to find out :)

3 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

What I meant by that was the patients are charged more to cover that premium you pay, am I right or wrong on that?

See below.

3 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

CT, high risk but still. You know the numbers. When we first decided to go that route in the late 80's OB's in standard practice were getting close to 700K -1,000K  as a 70-80 hr 1 call per week. By the time school, residency etc was done it was less than half as insurers, malpractice insurance  and attorneys had found a loosely based group with money to move on like a herd of ticks on an artery.

Yes, OBs were liable until age 18 for their deliveries....maybe they still are.  ****ing insanity, and if people think it will get better by doctors being forced to become employed by hospitals they're sadly misguided.  Private practice was a great system of checks and balances: no-one wanted a garbage surgeon in their group.  Now you have no idea who might be operating on you in an emergency situation.

3 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

If that were the case you'd pay $2,000/visit.

Exactly.

BA.....you think docs can just make up whatever fee they want because their malpractice is higher?  :laugh:

Have you heard of CPT codes and medicare/medicaid fee schedules?  

3 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Any business person has to charge enough to cover expenses and make a profit too or they won't be in business long, doesn't matter whether you're a doctor, a baker, or a candlestick maker. Insurance premiums are business expenses. I still say it's the patient who ultimately pays the insurance premium through what they are charged per office visit/procedure/operation.

If you get a bill or a notice of services rendered at you last visit, most hospitals give a breakdown of what they charge for the visit and what the insurance covers.

2K isn't that far off.

29 mins ago, HopHead said:

BA.....you think docs can just make up whatever fee they want because their malpractice is higher?  :laugh:

Have you heard of CPT codes and medicare/medicaid fee schedules?  

NO, I don't think doctors can charge whatever they want. Most doctors, especially the good doctors. work incredibly long hours every week and deserve the money they make. The point I was trying to make and obviously doing a chity job of it was whatever money you charged clients has to pay all bills (which includes ins premiums) and salaries.

42 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

If you get a bill or a notice of services rendered at you last visit, most hospitals give a breakdown of what they charge for the visit and what the insurance covers.

2K isn't that far off.

I do get them, every single month. They are a joke. I got threatened by a collection agency for ~$900  dollars insurance wouldn't cover for an 9  day hospital bill that I refused to pay. It was for 8 (eight) baby aspirins at $11 each. I'm paying it off at $10 per month, soon to be $5 per month.

If you could see the salaries of non-peofit hospital executives and administrators you'd get sick. You wonder why those aspirin are $11 each? Look at the obscene glut of execs and admins. The hospitals are out of control.

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

If you could see the salaries of non-peofit hospital executives and administrators you'd get sick. You wonder why those aspirin are $11 each? Look at the obscene glut of execs and admins. The hospitals are out of control.

The non-profit. LOL Board members. LOL"Trustees" LOL

Glut. Yes.