Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeH

Things to try for next year

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Keeping in the spirit of recent posts,What,If anything will you try different next year or would like to accomplish.

I have a list every year.While some ideas are good,Some never get done and some are based on the past years observations.

Explore the possibilities at a new point that has been haunting me.

Conventional casting(starting with lots of practice)

See if I can keep herring/gaspreau/mackerel alive longer than a few hours.

Personally compare different braids.

Give circle hooks a good chance.

Use teasers

Use black bombers instead of what is in my bag.I already painted my worn ones.

(NOTE:list not to be confused with NY's resolutions-these would be more worldly)smile.gif

Use teaser/bomber combos...I'm a bucktail junkie and have never given bombers a chance.

Pick a new spot and fish it harder than my old spots, (I already have the spot picked out)

Target weakfish and blues, not just bass.

Thats enough things for one year.

Try flyfishing. Had the rod since this summer and just got the reel. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Use my new custom rod. St.Croix spinning rod built on a 7 foot SCV baitcasting blank. If it performs as well as it looks, I'm in for a real treat.

Catch a bonito.

Maybe try to hook up with some of you poeple from this board next year.

Last of all, try to wean myself off of my tackle addiction.

------------------

Nate from MA

[This message has been edited by FalmouthFisher (edited 12-19-2001).]

I'm gonna try...I mean really try, to stay optimistic if/when our stripers abandon these waters shortly after June. It'll be difficult cause for the prior 19 July/August/September's to 2001, there were many, many stripers around - this year there were zero. So many people tell me I'm full of "doom and gloom"...but I speak only from personal experience. That experience was backed up by hundreds of others who ply the same waters. So next year, I'm gonna try to maintain my composure if they don't come back - again frown.gif It'll be harder than switching from trolling wire to fly fishing...but I'll give it a try icon15.gif

I'm also gonna try to fly fish more next year. I didn't this year cause...well...see above paragraph wink.gif

TimS

I'm gonna really focus on experimenting more. I have a bad habit of sticking to long with methods I have confidence in. Even if I get the skunk, as long as I learn something I will consider it a productive night. It will only be my fourth season so I have a lot to learn. In general, I am just going to focus on doing anything I can to make myself the best striper surf fisherman I can be.

If the fishing goes south after July 1, I'm heading north. I swore that I was going to fish LI more this year, but I never got around to it. I plan to fly fish a lot more also. If all goes as planned, I should be doing the bulk of my fishing in the bay.

[This message has been edited by Jim B (edited 12-21-2001).]

Catch an Albie or Bonito from shore

Go for Tuna

There is a little lake up on the Canadian/Maine border that I keep hearing has thousands of Muskies. Never been to Maine so that would be new.....

Well take my new boat all over the place, I have been all over the place all ready but not with the new rig. Catch and keep as many small fish as possible, OOOPs...............I mean catch and release as many fish as possible, I been down NJ way too many times this yearsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Seriously just to put more time in next year during the doldrums, it seems like this year I missed most of the best fishing because it happened when I usually don't fish during the really warm months. Go figure the bass did it to me again, just when I think that I thought I knew what they were going to do Kabooom they pull a U-TURN on me. Oh well that is why we keep doing this right, cause it is always different. You guy's talking about really trying to fish more with the flyrod including you TimS, do yourself a favor and promise yourself to do it. It was one of the things I have never regreted doing period. I took it up many years ago as a way to throw in some challenge again to my fishing, not that i was the greatest fisherman or anything, just that catching fish wasn't that difficult anymore. With the flyrod in your hand you get that child-like feeling back in your bones, you know where it don't really matter what you catch as long as you catch something. Plus it will force you to fish a much smaller piece of water much harder because you can't obviously cast as far, and I know most of you know that most of the bass are right at your feet anywaysmile.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

------------------

Tightlines,

Mike

Mike, fer me it wouldn't be a new thing to fish the fly rods more - I've spent many a season just throwing the flies smile.gif In fact, it was just this season that I really didn't fly fish all that much - normally, 1/2 or more of all my fishing is with the fly rod. This year there just weren't enough fish around NJ..if you can't even find them with the plugs and rigged eels and jigs, fly casting would have just been exercise frown.gif

Next year I'll fish the long rod even if there aren't a normal amount of fish around...but yah need some hits in any kinda fishin' - the hits this year between late June and late September were non-existent. I was trying, even with the spinning/conventional gear, to find some critters that just weren't here. Next year they'll get flies whether they like it or not wink.gif

TimS

I'm going to try to make more 1 or 2 day jaunts to out of state spots along the coast. Like MA, RI, CT, NY(LI). Other than that I want to hone my skills and try out the rods i'm going to build this winter.

Mike W.