JoeyZac

While We're On The Subject of Hawks..........

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

I hardly know the difference between a pigeon and a morning dove, but I know our Hawk likes both.  He likes sparrows as well, but rarely gets them as far as I can see.

These are crappy pictures, but hey, the bird is fast, and doesn't like being looked at.

The first pic is right outside my window, right by my desk.  He often swoops in, scatters the herd in a panic, and grabs some dope that panics, flies into the picture window, gets stunned for a second, and that's all she wrote.

The second pic is the hawk standing on top of the crab pot pile, which is where all the sparrow flee to when he shows up.  They all scoot into the pile, while the pigeons and doves make a run for it, and he often flies over, stands on top looking down at them, and you can hear them laughing at him until he flies away in disgust.

The pictures suck, but can anyone tell what kind of hawk this is?

20190114_145625.jpg.1eb4040c2e4ac63da4f117547b83ae6a.jpg

20190114_165137.jpg.977283a71a19843a565ae76b118ece92.jpg

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

I hardly know the difference between a pigeon and a morning dove, but I know our Hawk likes both.  He likes sparrows as well, but rarely gets them as far as I can see.

These are crappy pictures, but hey, the bird is fast, and doesn't like being looked at.

The first pic is right outside my window, right by my desk.  He often swoops in, scatters the herd in a panic, and grabs some dope that panics, flies into the picture window, gets stunned for a second, and that's all she wrote.

The second pic is the hawk standing on top of the crab pot pile, which is where all the sparrow flee to when he shows up.  They all scoot into the pile, while the pigeons and doves make a run for it, and he often flies over, stands on top looking down at them, and you can hear them laughing at him until he flies away in disgust.

The pictures suck, but can anyone tell what kind of hawk this is?

20190114_145625.jpg.1eb4040c2e4ac63da4f117547b83ae6a.jpg

20190114_165137.jpg.977283a71a19843a565ae76b118ece92.jpg

My question is what are you doing prior to taking this pic?

3 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

My question is what are you doing prior to taking this pic?

I was sitting at my desk, watching tv, playing chess on my phone, and probably posting in PG, when 5 or 6 birds crashed into the window as everyone scattered, then he landed on the rope a couple seconds later.

Kinda scared me a little, I thought someone was throwing something at the house.

coopers.  see that little tuft of feather off the back of his head that makes it look like a flat-top?, sharp shinned hawks don't have that - their heads are rounded in the back.