Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punch63

plug size and weight

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

What determines the size and weights of your plugs., and can a plug ( Pencil Popper ), be too big. I'm guessing most of the builders

are using stock that is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, not matter the type of wood, and as far as the weight, 

that is determined how you want it to float ( or sink ) in the water. I've been buy Eastern Red

Cedar blanks that are a Full 2" x 2" X 11" and when turned, dressed and epoxied, the final plug weighs

in at just over 5 oz, and 9 1/2" .  Is it too big, or is bigger better.20190211_080014.jpg.c4cc86e43585eabb3e75389e2f090320.jpg

If you have a rod that will handle a 5 ounce pencil then have at it. My personal favorite size for a pencil is about 4 ounces, because my rod throws 4 well.  I'd definitely use that one you posted. Looks great and big plugs catch big fish.

Yeah, Punch...the best way to address this 'problem' is to catch some nice fish on that size lure, and then post pics of the Fish Caught on Custom Wood 2019 thread

Particularly with needles, pencil poppers, and darters too big for me is usually determined by what i can cast or comfortably cast. The weight is most often "predetermined" by the volume of the plug and whether I want it to barely float or barely sink