G8trwood

Any battery experts LFP for trolling motor

11 posts in this topic

I have been reading nonstop reviews, forums, white papers, etc for the various LiFePh batteries. Huge differences in sustauned current and warranties which of course correlate to cost. Looking at 50ah for 40lb troller.

does anyone know what average amps the trolling motors are pulling in a yak vs a boat?

Any insight on betterquality brands? I am pretty (old school) knowledgeable with electrical systems, but the current (pun intended) state of programmable BMS, etc is maxing out my oldtimers 

thanks in advance

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not an expert. A member here asked the question a month ago. Most seem to want the 100AH battery. Around 30lbs and 1000 bucks for the Lifepo4. Pricey.....Deep Cycle AGM will run you less than 20% of that price but weight at least double.

Figure 20-25 AH per hour depending on motor. 100AH 4 -5hours? That may be 1/2 throttle?

Edited by The Riddler

Thanks!

Was looking for weight reduction as apparently I have gotten old and batteries are heavy.  Cant afford a 100ah lithium. Luckily, I only need it to get to and from the area I fish. Too shallow in most of it for motor, lots of oysters and narrow creeks

pretty sure the best bang for the buck out there is picking up a used Valence U1-12rt 12v Rechargeable Lithium Battery off ebay.  thats what i did anyway.  with a 30# minn kota and PWM controller im pretty sure ill be able to go all day anywhere i want.

19 hours ago, gobigblue said:

pretty sure the best bang for the buck out there is picking up a used Valence U1-12rt 12v Rechargeable Lithium Battery off ebay.  thats what i did anyway.  with a 30# minn kota and PWM controller im pretty sure ill be able to go all day anywhere i want.

Can you explain your calculations on this? The motor probably draws at least 10ah in low n that battery is a 40ah which will only gives u 4hrs max? Are these special batteries? Never heard of them? Not being a wise a$$ just wondering if I’m missing something here.

Around 4hrs under power is a long time, agreed assuming one is drawing 10ah. also consider the time being spent fishing (assuming you are not trolling all day). To say all day is not that far off. I use a 24lb watersnake. Fully charged battery will get ne around two hours max throttle (18ah?)with no pwm and full load. Battery weighs in around 13.5 lbs and charged with a standard lead acid charger. 

Edited by eddiespaghetti

2 mins ago, eddiespaghetti said:

Around 4hrs under power is a long time, agreed assuming one is drawing 10ah. also consider the time being spent fishing (assuming you are not trolling all day). To say all day is not that far off. I use a 24lb watersnake. Fully charged battery will get ne around two hours max throttle with no pwm and full load. 

Gotcha thx. Thinking about building a cassette with Watersnake t24 as well, what speed are you getting in low?