Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Mixing Oysters and Qouhogs

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

What's a Qouhog? :laugh:

In all seriousness, I'd imagine that they would be fine together in chowder. I don't think you'd have to treat the oysters much differently than the clams. The best way to cook is experimenting. I haven't followed a recipe in forever - when you experiment and learn to cook, you'll eventually perfect the dishes that mean the most to you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Quahogs have a much stronger flavour in the chowder than oysters........Waste of oysters really..............

Edited by robc22

11 hours ago, JTR said:

What's a Qouhog? :laugh:

In all seriousness, I'd imagine that they would be fine together in chowder. I don't think you'd have to treat the oysters much differently than the clams. The best way to cook is experimenting. I haven't followed a recipe in forever - when you experiment and learn to cook, you'll eventually perfect the dishes that mean the most to you.

It has been said that we are all not perfect and by incorrectly spelling a word here and there you eventually learn how to spell it. By now you would think that qouhogs would come up on the spelling corrector . which it does in the message, but I missed it in the Headline. I guess I need to write it five times so that it sticks  quahog,quahog,quahog,quahog, quahog ,quahog perhaps we can make a song with those words that rhyme with eating? see any more mistakes please post? 

10 hours ago, robc22 said:

Quahogs have a much stronger flavour in the chowder than oysters........Waste of oysters really..............

Rob are you saying that the oysters have a better taste in chowder then quahogs ? If they are by themselves.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, robc22 said:

Agree.

The stronger quahog flavor will over power the somewhat delicate flavor of the oyster.  Other than adding more mass to the chowder, taste wise you've gained nothing by combining them in a chowder.  It would be a terrible injustice to the fine oyster to be treated in this manner.

Also, oysters take only a few minutes to cook.  Actually, they are cooked when their edges start to curl.  Depending how finely you mince the quahog, the quahog may take longer to cook.  Ergo, you run a real risk of overcooking the oysters.

Edited by Joe G

That is great info my friends I was concerned about the different flavors and also the cooking time , so I will continue to keep them separate when freezing is the answer. Thank you all for the help.

you might like oyster stew, which is basically oysters, butter, milk and some cream or half & half.   As Joe said just heat till the edges curl.

6 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

you might like oyster stew, which is basically oysters, butter, milk and some cream or half & half.   As Joe said just heat till the edges curl.

Great stuff!..........:th:

Quahog chowder is good, but definitely an acquired taste. Very strong when compared to clam chowder.

Rhode Island chowder will really put hair on your chest. No milk. 

My son used most of the quahogs he went home with recently and as usual he made a chowder out it and it was the hit of the party , that he has once a year . My Grandson makes up Lobster sandwiches with the lobster and he loves it. He also does Oyster Chowder that also is great. I think the next time he come here I will have him make up his special chowder for me.