John E

Conventional Rod Casting Issues?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Having a casting issue with a custom 11 foot conventional GSB1321M I bought a few years ago.  Throws the lighter stuff (SPs, small metal lips, 1.5 ounce bucktails, etc.) fine with no issues but has issues with larger plugs. When I really lean into the cast with a large plug, something catches the line and the plug snaps off.  I don't think it's the reel because I've used it on other rods without an issue.  It's hard to tell what's going on because it happens at the beginning of the cast before I can get a good look at what's going on.  Could it be the 1st guide is too far out and the line is building up behind it?  Could it be the rod tip whipping to much?  I'm at a loss to even know where to begin looking.  Rod is GSB1321M paired with a Calcutta 400.

I'll can get some measurements and number of guides tonight if it helps.

Edited by John E

Sounds like the heavy pressure from beginning of the cast sink the line enough to get caught inside the spool resulting in immediate overrun in the beginning. What line setup / leader are you using. Squeeze the line on the spool, if it has any give or feel squishy, it's too loose. 

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Sounds like the heavy pressure from beginning of the cast sink the line enough to get caught inside the spool resulting in immediate overrun in the beginning. What line setup / leader are you using. Squeeze the line on the spool, if it has any give or feel squishy, it's too loose. 

I don’t think it’s a reel issue. Reel works great on other rods and is spoiled correctly but I won’t rule out anything.  I’m using 50 lb stealth. Main line to swivel to 30” of 50 lb mono. 

I haven’t tried other reels in this rod yet since the Calcutta casts great on my other rods. 

Edited by John E

I had a similar thing happen to me once with my 700-b.

the good part is I saw it happen.

the spool speed shot up and the line was going through slower than it was coming off the reel.

it wrapped around the guide,slipped a little then cut.

maybe thats whats happening with your rig.

since you have no probs with other rods,is this rods action diff from the others?

HH

The other rods are heavier action and the first guides are at least 6” closer to the reel based on the measurements  I just did. 

Im going to try Mike’s suggestion to see if what happens. 

Edited by John E

I'd take a real close look at the guide rings.  I had a similar issue with one of my rods and it drove me crazy.  After checking the guide rings very closely I noticed a small crack in the tip top ring that would cut the line on a heavy cast. It didn't affect casting unless I really leaned on it.

5 hours ago, SC said:

Can the line be wrapping around the tip?

That's another possibility as well.  The issue most likely has to do with the number of guides and/or distance of the 1st guide to the reel.  When casting bigger plugs, the line feels like its not flowing properly because you can feel the line out of the rod tighten, pull on the rod then break because of the tension.  At first, I thought it may be the tip whipping around after casting but I can cast the same plugs on my spinning set up (same blank) without an issue. Since the reel works fine on other rods, that leaves the rod construction.  While I could try a different reel, I really want to use the Calcutta on this rod for plugs and eels.

Definitely, not a cracked guide.  I had that happen on another rod and this is completely diferent.

I bought this rod from someone who built it themself.  So while it may have worked for them and their style of fishing, I need it to work for me.

Edited by John E

33 inches should be fine. If you were 48 inches it should be fine.

Chocking will not help much. It will cause moteprobs. Conventional throw off a large loop of line and you also have the side to side line movement to consider.

Strongly suspect it is the actual cast or reel set up is not correct for the plugs you are casting.

If you have a 6500c ABU try that and see what happens.

Big wooden plugs need low start up reels.

mike