Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobydoo

New 2019 Tsunami Evict: All of em Inside and out

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Have you started using a bait casting set-up for your lures? I get not using a bait caster for tossing live bait, but casting metals is where a good baitcaster shines.

A longer handle would give you all the torque you need with that Slammer, are there any after market options yet?

Started borrowing my friends setups testing the Komodo, Tranx, Lexa, and Valiant. Decided to build a Tranx setup, got the rod components in but blank is 9ft and everything I threw was heavy at 2oz plus. Have no experience with modern casting reels and light lures, all I own are old 400s, 700 Calcuttas, and a few accurates and can't throw light stuff for crap on them. 

1 hour ago, dennysnook said:

What conventional would you recommend for throwing a #2 clarkspoon equivalent distance to a spinner. Think they only like 1/4oz. Finally got my blank for the Tranx setup I'm building for the inlet, but that won't work on the boat at 9ft, and haven't bought the reel. Buddy has a  Calcutta 401 with 50lb braid and he couldn't get half the distance I was getting with my 5k BG and 6K Stella with the smaller spoons. Biggest problem is that for that type of fishing I get worn out pulling with my left arm much quicker and still feel like monkey screwing a football trying to reel conventional with my left hand. Have no short 7ft conventional rods that would work, so have to invest in a complete setup and build back up the muscles to do those kinda numbers. The entire commercial fleet all uses spinning reels, but was already thinking conventional if you think distance can be achieved with very light spoons. The bigger drone spoons shouldn't be an issue at closer to an oz

The problem is throwing into the wind.  diistance is much less with a baitcastes as you really have to throw a low bore.

And ripping  into a head wind....lightweight, high speed aerodynamic lures  isn't all that fun with anything but a dc reel.

and even then it's not oodles of fun lol.

Any svs infinity or magz sv spooled reel you'd have to have the brakes up enough to kill  distance.

((important to consider I'm talkin hero casting punching in to wind))

And you'd need heavy drags and strong handles.  And a gear ratio to get fish on plane....plus you need capacity.

Only two reels come to mind.  And I haven't used either of them.

The new antares and calcutta dc.

(i have a few dc reels but none full 200 sized capacity)

Don't those clarks and drones cast poorly??? and have a tendancy not to fly straight?  I'd bet a baitcaster would staighten em out a bit.  But all bets are off in the wind.

What's you spinning setup currently for that?

40 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

The problem is throwing into the wind.  diistance is much less with a baitcastes as you really have to throw a low bore.

And ripping  into a head wind....lightweight, high speed aerodynamic lures  isn't all that fun with anything but a dc reel.

and even then it's not oodles of fun lol.

Any svs infinity or magz sv spooled reel you'd have to have the brakes up enough to kill  distance.

((important to consider I'm talkin hero casting punching in to wind))

And you'd need heavy drags and strong handles.  And a gear ratio to get fish on plane....plus you need capacity.

Only two reels come to mind.  And I haven't used either of them.

The new antares and calcutta dc.

(i have a few dc reels but none full 200 sized capacity)

Don't those clarks and drones cast poorly??? and have a tendancy not to fly straight?  I'd bet a baitcaster would staighten em out a bit.  But all bets are off in the wind.

What's you spinning setup currently for that?

The spoons don't wobble too bad, atleast not as bad as other spoons, there just isn't any weight to them so they don't fly far. I just had a BH Challenger Bank 703M made specific for this application. While not really the type of rod you would typically throw this weight of spoon with, it has the light weight/power and tip I can load with force. Compensate through very powerful snap casts to load the 1-4oz rod with less than 1/2oz and good timing. With any conventional I'm used to that much rod speed would generate a massive backlash. Stella 6K was supposed to be dedicated reel, but went out of commission along with my 4K Saltiga a lil while ago so have a heavy BG 5k on there for now. If it is just really small fish or I get tired then I use my 5.2oz 701L and Exist 3012. That throws the lure well, but lacks the torque or big fish ripping power. I'm fishing into up to 20 mph head and cross winds. 

Always get recommendations for conventional, and am no stranger to using conventional since that's all I grew up using, they just rarely fit my applications when I go from throwing 4oz and turn around a use a freelined shrimp minutes later. Need versatility carrying minimal rods. Building the Tranx to take some pressure off the spinners during jack season, and got some conventional for boat stuff, but don't want to drop a g and a refined reel if that's what it takes, especially one that will get covered in junk and salt everyday. Probably going the BPS Gear guard route with something I can destroy and replace for short money, or just keep running this 6k into the ground after service

@dennysnookif you want a baitcaster that you could use for those clark spoons in the saltt, but you want something smaller than a 300 size (lexa/komodo/tranx) maybe look into the Daiwa TWS inshore baitcaster; it's a 200 size but has saltwater specific construction as far as i know. Could be just what you're looking for

After viewing the video, I have to say this is the biggest let down so far in 2019.  It's only February, so there is still plenty of time. It's like they don't want our money. On paper it looks great. Great looking spool / drag stack. light weight, stainless gear train, aluminum power knob, etc.   

The anti-reverse clutch, especially the design on the smaller models. Why???  :banghd:

4 hours ago, dennysnook said:

The spoons don't wobble too bad, atleast not as bad as other spoons, there just isn't any weight to them so they don't fly far. I just had a BH Challenger Bank 703M made specific for this application. While not really the type of rod you would typically throw this weight of spoon with, it has the light weight/power and tip I can load with force. Compensate through very powerful snap casts to load the 1-4oz rod with less than 1/2oz and good timing. With any conventional I'm used to that much rod speed would generate a massive backlash. Stella 6K was supposed to be dedicated reel, but went out of commission along with my 4K Saltiga a lil while ago so have a heavy BG 5k on there for now. If it is just really small fish or I get tired then I use my 5.2oz 701L and Exist 3012. That throws the lure well, but lacks the torque or big fish ripping power. I'm fishing into up to 20 mph head and cross winds. 

Always get recommendations for conventional, and am no stranger to using conventional since that's all I grew up using, they just rarely fit my applications when I go from throwing 4oz and turn around a use a freelined shrimp minutes later. Need versatility carrying minimal rods. Building the Tranx to take some pressure off the spinners during jack season, and got some conventional for boat stuff, but don't want to drop a g and a refined reel if that's what it takes, especially one that will get covered in junk and salt everyday. Probably going the BPS Gear guard route with something I can destroy and replace for short money, or just keep running this 6k into the ground after service.

Messing around with a headwind, lures/bait 1oz and under, with baitcasting gear would lead to a lot of lost money as you pick out those backlashes. 

It is tough to beat a big baitcaster on a good 9ft 1oz-4oz rod when casting 2oz metal with a spinner, but from the sounds of it that would be more of a niche for you then an all purpose set-up.

I am curious to see what Okuma comes up with for mid priced spinners. They seem to like sticking stainless steel gears in everything, maybe they might come out with a spinner that has the right price, combined with good durability and good torque for your needs.

Thank you to Scoob, for your time and demo. With the nice work tsunami did on their plugging poles a little disappointing on the reel.  Hopefully they will improve the next generation evict!