Ben Lippen

Home made forge

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My neighbor is a union pipe-fitter who has an interest in knives. He's ben wanting to try his hand at forging his own for some time. So recently he got a bunch of fire bricks, and called me over with my array of clamps to assist him in building his own little forge. His design seems good to me. I did my part to help him make a square jig to start his metal framing around the bricks, and get him going. 

This is where he is so far. Excuse the "blue hue" from the tarp covering his "tent".

0209191505.jpg.4e77f696e3fef8fb34a5745b3e6f4920.jpg

0209191505a.jpg.9a5fe95f94bbd6cb6fa2e46892a57f6e.jpg

0209191505b.jpg.14f85501712c3fad4af49ca9d81a6324.jpg

0209191505c.jpg.efcebe30fd019d3c38b200528119c8f7.jpg

A bud of mine makes his own blades, I've got 2 of them.  He got the forge going one day and its pretty loud with a big flame shooting out so the neighbor called the FD which is directly across the street. A fireman walked over and asked Bill questions for about an hour on how it was done. His operation looks much like the one shown.

Cool. Did he work from a downloaded plan, or wing it?  One of the craziest episodes of Forged in Fire they made them build their own coal forges from scrapyard crap. When my son was into knifemaking he used 1/8" 01 flatstock, so we only had to heat treat it. I built a small box of firebrick and heated it with 2 Mapp torches. 

1 hour ago, JimW said:

So interesting.  I know nothing. Looks to be fired by poweraid so far.  What’s the plan.  Any blower?   

Lol. Ya know that **** aint no good for ya , right?

Nah, it's gonna be L.P. fired.  He's got all the parts and regulators and such, just making the blower for it right now. 

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Cool. Did he work from a downloaded plan, or wing it?  One of the craziest episodes of Forged in Fire they made them build their own coal forges from scrapyard crap. When my son was into knifemaking he used 1/8" 01 flatstock, so we only had to heat treat it. I built a small box of firebrick and heated it with 2 Mapp torches. 

He's ben reading and watching all sortsa stuff on the interwebz about building these things. I'm looking forward to seeing it work,... from my other side of the street ;) 

Fire brick sucks as an insulation medium for a forge. Double the cavity size and line with ceramic insulation, he'll get higher temperatures with less fuel used.

15 hours ago, Wraith said:

Fire brick sucks as an insulation medium for a forge. Double the cavity size and line with ceramic insulation, he'll get higher temperatures with less fuel used.

I'll tell him what you said about the firebricks.  He's not about to start over and build another until he tries this one out.