hardtail

Tuffleye???

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to used tuffleye but no matter how long you hold the light to it, it stays sticky, I have tried setting it with rubbing alcohol, doesn't work. Any advice, Thank you. Just frustrated

Don't know is this helps?

Although Tuffleye products will cure with either Visible Blue or UV light we do not advise using UV light for fly tying. Tuffleye stands alone as the only safe Visible Blue light cured acrylic for fly tying. Tuffleye acrylics are not classified as UV cured resins.

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

I am trying to used tuffleye but no matter how long you hold the light to it, it stays sticky, I have tried setting it with rubbing alcohol, doesn't work. Any advice, Thank you. Just frustrated

Nature of the beast.... alcohol takes most of it away but it still will have a slight tack to it and the alcohol makes it's finish dull in appearance.       That's the reason they sell this stuff, which if you smell it and apply it you would swear it's Sally Hanson's "Hard as Nails".

I still have some Tuffleye product left over but bought the Solarez system at the Edison FF show as it's virtually tack free when cured.    I wear UV glasses when using and put a glove on my hand during the cure.   Quick and easy.

HT

topcoat.jpg.e53ba3b87c7ebd3f478f7f09cfff6af5.jpg

Are you using the wall power adapter or batteries?  If the latter I suggest changing out for newer batteries.  If they are fully charged, I suggest you got a bad batch of tuffleye or are not using a tuffleye brand light.  It has been my experience that other product lights (Loon UV light for example) will not fully cure Tuffleye product.  It's been a while since I used Tuffleye but I still use light cured acrylics regularly.

I have tuffleye and to be honest, I’m over it. The UV cure is super convenient, but I can’t deal with the tackiness any more. For the cost, I just can’t justify wasting time rubbing with an alcohol soaked swab or finishing with 2-3 topcoats. I don’t tie many flies that require epoxy, but I’m looking into something new for this season. Heard lots of good stuff about Solarez. 

I'm with Seadogg.  When my CCG runs out I'm going to give Solarez a shot. You can get it in larger quantities and it's cheaper than it's competitors.

46 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I have tuffleye and to be honest, I’m over it. The UV cure is super convenient, but I can’t deal with the tackiness any more. For the cost, I just can’t justify wasting time rubbing with an alcohol soaked swab or finishing with 2-3 topcoats. I don’t tie many flies that require epoxy, but I’m looking into something new for this season. Heard lots of good stuff about Solarez. 

With you Dogg,  

Have a little Tuffleye left and that's the end once its gone, bought some Solarez at the Edison show and did a test sample and much better and no need to topcoat.  Cheaper per volume quantity also.   A plus plus in my book. 

HT

i had a batch from Tuffleye that didn't cure well, then I stopped using the batteries and just plugged into the wall, what a difference. Cured in half the time it seams. It is truly 10-15 seconds for me now. I also apply the tope coat right after curing so I don't have to rub with alcohol at all. Dries tack free and super clear.