Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

source for jig making lead

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

looking for a source for lead jog making.  I had a sheet of lead from an old lumber yard up.  I was thinking trying lead from tier (I cant spell) place but I worry about the impurities.  will it matter?  thanks Charlie

Tire weights ain’t got much lead in them anymore .. so not ideal . Some old ones will melt , others will just float at the top .. the sheet lead you speak of is my favorite, soft , pure enough , and easy to work with ( cut small enough to get into pot ) .. another good one is old lead pipes .. but make sure to put them some somewhere warm for a good while and let them dry COMPLETELY.. water in molten lead is no good and will pop and splatter molten lead ..

Its all getting harder to find , unless you got some friends in construction or demolition, call bunch of scrap yards .. not all them will sell , but explain the situation and maybe you get lucky .. 

15 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

looking for a source for lead jog making.  I had a sheet of lead from an old lumber yard up.  I was thinking trying lead from tier (I cant spell) place but I worry about the impurities.  will it matter?  thanks Charlie

any lead is good,put that on high heat.

old lead weights is good new could be zink aloy will not melt.