JimG

Pulled over.. question on rights

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Happens constantly here in NH. Small towns with too many cops with no real crime. They harrass kids, parents, whoever drives by. My wife got tailed by a cop from the beginning of one town to the end, then by another in the next town, and then followed to our street in our town. Never pulled over, just looking for a reason. Sometimes they forget who pays their salary.

6 hours ago, JimG said:

So last night I took the family to dinner in sea bright.  I was driving my daughters car... because she was blocking everyone in the driveway.

Came over the sandy hook bridge in to the highlands and a highlands policeman pulls me over about a 1/4 mile past the bridge.

He tells me he pulled me over for failure to stay right.  So I told him the right lane is an exit only coming over the bridge and I had to be in the left lane.  He then says that one light over the license plate is out.  I told him I didn't even know that was a law.  Some cars done even have lights over the plates.

So he then says" well... really I just pulled you over to make sure you arent intoxicated". To which I respond... " is that right?"

Anyway.....  I wasnt.  Had a diet coke with dinner.  I didnt get any tickets and he was nice enough.  

And of course I didnt give him a hard time.  Just showed my license registration and insurance and I was on my way after he ran plates and my license.

But.. I was a little annoyed.  Did he confess to pulling me over without cause?

Was your trunk monkey broken?

"...pulled you over for failure to stay rCLUNK!"

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Sea Bright is the #1 town in NJ for monetizing the police force to fill the town coffers. 

I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but it certainly could and should be disputed by oh, so many small towns all way down the coast. County by county, it would still be hard to figure out which town is the worst. Pick a town, and everyone will tell you their cops are the worst for such abuses. LBI has some of the worst, aside from your "north" jersey guys. My central Jersey guys arent as bad, lest you not be respectful. That case, yer going to fall down the stairs going to the lock-up. Several times. Most lawsuits against Seaside Heights. 

We who drive daily in these towns for work know to keep the speed. Not to drink a drop. And get the **** home before the sun sets.

I was always "comfortable" running all hours of the night in my little area, fishing. Til one night I took an old friend for his first night trip. Passed the first cop at 03:00

at a well lit, green traffic light and the rollers came up real quick. Handed over my required stuff to the polite officer who came to my window. The cop that came to the passenger side "asked" my buddy to get out of the van. "Patted" him down, went through his wallet, and then handed it back to him in parts, money falling to the ground. 

I'm nowhere near a saint, and it actually wasn't the first racial encounter my buddy and I had had over the years together. But the others were well far south of NJ. I was incensed, but my friend kept me calm so we both didnt go to jail. 

Just saying, bad cops and DWB aint exclusive to any one place or time. Or white drivers....

Where I live the cops will just run your plates while at a stop light. I was driving to work one morning and a cop was tailing me. He followed me to where I was going. I'm self employed and I stopped right in front of my customers house.

Of course I was polite about the stop. Turns out a few seconds after he gets my information the entire street is blocked by 3 more cruisers! I drove a white pickup truck. He punched in the wrong tag numbers and thought I was a drug dealer who drove a white pickup truck.

They walked around my truck hands on guns all the while my customer was watching from inside their house! After about 10 minutes they he said sorry its a mistake. Of course I knew it was a mistake. Anyway the other cruisers had already left and this guy was gonna leave also. At that point I told him no ****ing chance! Made that cop go up to my customer and tell her it was all a big mistake he ****ed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another time I was at lunch at the shopping center outside of leisure world in Rockville. Burger King. Pulled thru the drive thru and  didn't even think I was parked by the bank there. Turns out someone thought I was casing the bank and called the police. They wanted to know what I was doing there?????? I dunno do you see this whopper in my lap?  I actually said that. Anyway I told them where I was working and all and they ran my plates again and then told me to leave.

Now I'm in a public parking lot right by the fast food joint and they tell me to leave. I thought about saying something for a second. Nope not worth it. Shut up and left. Such is life around these parts. 

And I am white as can be!!!!

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate,

That's according to an study written up in the Asbury Park Press

I'll try to find it again

8 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think your rights were violated,

and those who support this with "Driving is a privilege" annoy the hell out of me.

check points are a fascist over reach in my opinion.

There’s no god given right to drive, just because you can afford to buy a car doesn’t give you the right drive as apposed to a person that can’t afford one.

13 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I was wondering, I'd be curious to know how many others the officer pulled over, were he found the operator looped up. I understand the being annoyed, but what about the other potential killers he took off the road. Sometimes we have to take a deep breath and let it pass. I know I do. 

Jimmy, this is a clear violation of his civil rights. Are you okay with police violating civil rights? 

The Supreme Court has held that random vehicle stops are unreasonable seizures under the Fourth Amendment. Police officers are required to have probable cause in order to justify stopping a vehicle, or at the very least a reasonable suspicion that a driver is violating some law or traffic code, such as if you have been street racing. Thus, police cannot randomly stop vehicles simply to check a drivers licenses or even to get a better view of drivers and passengers unless there is a reason to suspect them of some kind of criminal activity afoot.

Edited by J

10 hours ago, Cayotica said:

There’s no god given right to drive, just because you can afford to buy a car doesn’t give you the right drive as apposed to a person that can’t afford one.

Despite that, a driver is still protected by the 4th Amendment. 

On 2/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, Phil K said:

You should've just claimed to be an "article 4 free inhabitant", whatever that is. 

I blame the boyfriend for not telling her to shut the f$#@ up. Imagine listening to her all day? 

“Can u clean the dishes after yourself?”

”I’m a free inhabitant and I don’t have to follow your rules!”

”Rent is due..”

”We don’t have to support capitalism, we can stay here without paying!”

i think he got himself arrested on purpose to get away from her.

When I get pulled over for no apparent reason and they ask me "why I pulled you over" I usually reply with you were hoping I was drunk? You already know I have insurance, no warrants and a driver's license. 

33 mins ago, Joe said:

Back in the day, I got pulled over for "driving with long hair" more than once.

As it should be you damned dirty hippy.:laugh:

Points be damned, full speed ahead.

41 mins ago, Joe said:

Back in the day, I got pulled over for "driving with long hair" more than once.

I drove a late 70's VW camper for years, lost count of how many times I got pulled over for no reason other than long hair/beard/hippy van.  I was never dumb enough to drive after drinking or carry any grass in the car, so never got so much as a ticket. My favorite story though was from my short stint in Georgia. I was bartending and one night I gave a friend a ride home after work as he had a few too many. I'm stopped at a red light at a T intersection and a cruiser pulls up from the right and stops at the green light. He lit me up before I even made it through the intersection. I ask why I'm being pulled over and he responds with what are you doing out so late. I tried to explain that I had just left work and was giving a friend a ride home. He then pulls me out of the car for a field sobriety test, which I passed, and which pissed him off. I ask him if I can go and he says he needs to do a breathalyzer, so I'm like great let's do it, I'm tired and I haven't had a drop to drink. By this point 3 other cruisers have shown up. I blew a 0.0 and asked again if I could go. Cop says we're going to need to search your vehicle. I said you're going to need a warrant as you have no probable cause for the search or the actual stop. He said the stop was suspicion of dui, and I asked how he surmised that while I was stopped at a red light and made a 5mph left turn. At this point I was pretty aggravated so  I asked again if I was free to go. Cops conference for a few minutes to see if they can come up with a reason to ticket me and come back saying I can leave but my friend has to drive  because they didn't believe I hadn't been drinking. I was like are you serious, I just passed all the sobriety tests! This kid is 3 sheets and didn't know how to drive a stick shift, they didn't even ask if he'd been drinking. But they made me put him in the driver's seat and go on our way. Real safe.  Small town cops with nothing better to do.