GilV

Wader recommendation for cold water wading and easy to walk in.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for a recommendation for cold water wading that are easy to walk in. I never splurged on waders in the past, but I am going to be doing a lot of steelhead fishing and going on a salmon fishing trip in Nova Scotia. I will be doing a lot of walking in them and at my age can't take the cold like I used to. I have always used Hodgman or Proline waders that were inexpensive. They lasted a long time for me and still use them when on the beach or in the bay, but where I fish I don't have to walk far. I will be fishing very cold water for steelhead and walking a lot for both steelhead and salmon.

Any info is appreciated.

I don't mind spending the money as long as they don't leak. I just read the replies in the other wader thread. I find it hard to take that top of the line waders leak when purchased new. That to me doesn't seem right. So recommendations on inexpensive waders are also welcome as long as they are warm and easy to walk in. I never had a pair of Hodgman or Proline leak when new and rarely after years of use. I just threw out a pair of Proline I had for many years, not because they leaked, but because the the wader buttons finally rusted out from salt water.

Thanks

Gil

Aquaz waders are light , available in boot foot and stocking , I use the bootfoot heavier model all winter , with fleece bottoms and decent socks 36 degree water doesn't bother me . 

Check their website mine just started leaking after 4 seasons of heavy use , it was a seem leak repaired seem to be OK again ! 

Simms G3 Guide boot foot.....    When are you going to Nova Scotia (and where)?  If you are going to Cape Breton and planning to fish the North or the Cheticamp and plan to cover some water, you will not want boot foots...

I was fortunate to have a friend pass a pair of Kobuk waders on to me after he no longer could do the cold water thing . With the proper base layer , intelligent layering and good socks , they served me well for many seasons . Winter trout , occasional steelhead trips , early & late striper fishing , they never let me down . Bill J 

Thanks for the recommendations and I am checking them out.

Has anyone ever had a pair of Hodgman Aesis Sonic Chest Waders. That is the only waders I have found so far that have nothing but 5 star reviews. Simms scares me from other threads I read on SOL. 

I am going to Cape Benton. That is why I want to get some stockingfoot waders. I am also going to fish the Salmon River in NY a lot this year. I have been trying to get up there now, but either the slush ice, snow or water flow has kept me postponing my trip. I want to go to NS the end of September, but a friend that wants to go would like to go in June. What time of year do you go to NS for salmon?

Thanks

Gil 

If cold water wading is the main requirement than I think you should look at neoprene waders. In my experience neoprene, with proper layering, will keep you warmer than conventional waders.

I still use my breathable waders with stocking foot boots that are a couple  sizes to big with good socks. To keep the rest of me warm I use long underwear regular pants and a pair fleece pants made for wading that have stirrup staps. Walking is not an issue and I don’t sweat like I did when wearing and walking in Neoprene waders.

I decided on the Frogg togg Pilot breathable waders with Buckskin Korkers boots and I can’t believe how warm and comfy the boots were. Can’t believe I took this long to go to stockingfoot and boots. Especially for a long day on the water.