QHNM

Please ID this fish

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Cali Hali and realize there is a season and min size I believe 22".  Catch quite a few, but usually in the warmer months of June-July and at low tide on swimbaits, bucktails, SP minnow (as you see above) and even carolina rigged grubs & gulp worms. They are excellent table fare, yum! This one is a little lighter color than I have seen them, but then again they have the ability to change their color to match their environment and as you can see the one pictured above disappears in the that light colored sand perfectly. You can tell a California vs a Pacific Hali based on its jaw line and where its eyes are place in line with the jaw line. This is outlined in the CA reg book. 

0701181121 (2).jpg

Apologies for the slightly off topic response here, but when I was in Cali and did the More Than Fishing C&R tourney last summer I bought a handful of the softplastic in your pic. They are awesome!!

Good info here, I was always under the impression Halibut were right handed and most Fluke were left (always an exception or genetic mutant of course)...

Okay after a little research I may go back on what I said, this may indeed be a flounder. I say this because the coloring and spots and the tail which is less broom like and more pointed. Just the light color really makes me think this is the case and not a California Halibut. See pic of Flounder below. Was this fish caught in southern California?

Lets refer to a wise old idiot, Moocks help? 

flounder southern

Thats a California Halibut.  Out here a legal Ca halibut is 22” (4-5 years old) the record is 67lbs about 5ft long  

They can live as long as 30 years

here is some table fair,1 left and right eyed 

05843BD6-59F7-4BD1-929B-29F2659A1B2F.jpeg

Edited by norcalkat

One eyed halibut Drew? Some would call the fish in question a Chicken and a bigger version a Barn Door, I am so confused. 

Image result for white perch

Edited by Linesideslayer