LeeSHF

DIY stripping basket belt

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

What does anyone recommend for a belt for a DIY stripping basket I’m making. I’m thinking a plastic clip (like wader straps use) and some type of belt that has a little stretch. Any ideas? Or where to get one? Thanks 

Posted (edited) · Report post

For years I made my own stripping baskets. I used a belt or a bungee. I know use a commercial one. The best I thought was a bungee, easy on and off, easy to move around also. The bungee holds tight also. It may not not look good, but if I were to make my own again it would be a bungee on a smaller kitchen plastic sink tub with weed whacker line through the bottom. I would drill two holes on the back of the tub for the bungee. The bungees went over the top lip and into the hole that way, therefore I never caught my line on them. When I cut strips for a belt they cracked by the slits, but it still held together. Having said that, am no artist when it comes to making stuff, but the bungee did the best job for me.

Good luck

Another plus for the bungee is if your belly is 40" and your waste is 36", a bungee will keep you from tripping on it, if it slips down to your waste!

Edited by GilV

43 mins ago, Cman said:

Fleabay has a variety of options. Here's one I used last year:

IMG_20170913_133159068_HDR.jpg.c9aa03282695a42adf75461547da9c7a.jpg

Cman, with this type, are you able to slide it around to the back or side when you need to? Like when you release a fish or reach down for the leader?

41 mins ago, GilV said:

For years I made my own stripping baskets. I used a belt or a bungee. I know use a commercial one. The best I thought was a bungee, easy on and off, easy to move around also. The bungee holds tight also. It may not not look good, but if I were to make my own again it would be a bungee on a smaller kitchen plastic sink tub with weed whacker line through the bottom. I would drill two holes on the back of the tub for the bungee. The bungees went over the top lip and into the hole that way, therefore I never caught my line on them. When I cut strips for a belt they cracked by the slits, but it still held together. Having said that, am no artist when it comes to making stuff, but the bungee did the best job for me.

Good luck

Another plus for the bungee is if your belly is 40" and your waste is 36", a bungee will keep you from tripping on it, if it slips down to your waste!

Thanks for the info GilV

6 mins ago, LeeSHF said:

Cman, with this type, are you able to slide it around to the back or side when you need to? Like when you release a fish or reach down for the leader?

Yes. You adjust the belt via velcro, so easy to make it tight enough to slide around. You can see the velcro lining the inside - and the belt folded over to the proper size. 

I want modify what I said about the holes for the bungee. The baskets I used had a squared off top. I would drill the hold down through the lip and connect the bungee there. Getting old and my memory isn't too good. Took me a while to restart those memory cells.

Hilltop has an ad in the fly classifieds. You may want to look at his pictures for some ideas also.

One of the simplist stripping baskets to make is a Tupperware dishpan with two holes drilled in two corners about an inch apart just in case one of the holes should break. Never had an issue with a hole breaking, the dishpan is incredibly tough stuff.

Most bungee cords come with rubber caps. I always removed them and this allowed me to drill smaller holes. To adjust the fit on the bungee I used a simple overhand knot staring in the middle of the bungee. Usually one or two knots was all that was required and did not interfere with sliding the basket around to the back when required.

4 hours ago, LeeSHF said:

What does anyone recommend for a belt for a DIY stripping basket I’m making. I’m thinking a plastic clip (like wader straps use) and some type of belt that has a little stretch. Any ideas? Or where to get one? Thanks 

At Joann's fabric they sell a 4"or so very stretchy material. It's in the section where they have roll of ribbony stuff. or various fabric. I have a belt with same type of material. The high stretch and the width make it comfortable I feel. 

Clip wise I would want to be able to pop off the belt with one hand in case fighting a fish. 

10 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

It's a variety of this stuff: https://www.joann.com/black-knit-elastic/11384385.html

I just have a bungee cord hook stuck in one end. Other end is permanently attached to basket via zip tie.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Thank you. And I figured if I have a fish on I may just slide to the back. 

2 mins ago, LeeSHF said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Thank you. And I figured if I have a fish on I may just slide to the back. 

I do that too. The nice thing about the elastic is that you can do the slide around thing very easily and it's just a bit more forgiving to the old gut when moving around than something like a nylon belt. 

This stuff is pretty sheer. Not thick like some elastic suspenders you might see. So I would visit Fabric store and investigate. 

I also have some pipe insulation padding which I have glued to the stomach side of the stripping basket. Adhered it with some foam glue--super glue didn't work. Pretty comfortable. 

Lee, when Hodgeman replaced a leaky pair of waders for me they sent an extra belt.  If you think it will do what you need PM me your details and I’ll throw it in the mail.  

1959EC4A-C184-4637-8CBE-DC392C54E204.jpeg

1A546BBD-A690-4496-8E4F-D8B387A72181.jpeg