Seabassplug

Fishing around seals, success anyone?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jollyrodger said:

I do not live on the Cape, but was there this fall for a wedding and fished Nauset Beach near Orleans. I tried fishing for a while, but there were hundreds of seals, so gave up after about an hour. Was hoping to see a Great White attack one of them. They had shark warning signs along the beach. 

I’ve fished Nauset in October with seals popping up 10 feet in front of me. Caught plenty of fish but only in the dark. The bite dies as soon as the sun comes up. 

They are in every body of water on cape now. I have  caught big and small when they are around.  A few years ago during the bunker blitz’s on the back side I saw a big seal with a 30+ pound bass in its mouth! That’s was a sad site! 

Seals are a population that’s needs controlling.....no different than beavers, muskrats, coyotes.....in a perfect world nature does a good job balancing itself....When I was in SE Alaska we had seal bombs..( water proof m80) that did the trick when seining....worked when they tried to take a nice king too....

I’m not a fan of having them in numbers. Just like any predator....having coyotes around deer hunting.......nothing wrong with a good cull.  And I’m in a lot of people’s views a tree hugging hippie...thin the heard!