Seabassplug

Fishing around seals, success anyone?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone found the patience and the rewards of fishing around seals, I did two years ago in Cape Cod but my brain told me to not bother. Did you find a way of fishing around seals thats works better than others?

Good discussion on this topic by Pat Desmaris on WXTK 95.1 fm yesterday. One caller made an excellent point: you can abort a fetus but you can’t kill a seal. 

Anyway, it seems to be that people are starting to point fingers at great whites as the problem. This is too bad because the real problem is the seals and the damage that they do the ecosystem. As this colony goes so does their push to find food. I have seen grey seals in the Canal and in Manomet. If you see them during the day just pack up and go where they aren’t. However this may be impossible along the backside as the heard is everywhere. Your best bet is to stake out your location during the day and hit it at night. 

I had great success this spring. I saw several seals just outside the farthest breaker. Then they moved about 60 yards to my right and actually surfed some waves. They were chasing bait fish. A few minutes later I landed a 29lb bass. My best from the beach. I don't see many seals in my area, only occasionally, so maybe it was a fluke.

Good luck

Gil

I don’t think these are flukes. I found bass on the outskirts of the seals. Thinking about it, it could make sense that they are feeding off of scraps-similar to how you find bass under or around the bluefish. 

I do do feel like it is a skunk casting when they are right in front of you. 

I do not live on the Cape, but was there this fall for a wedding and fished Nauset Beach near Orleans. I tried fishing for a while, but there were hundreds of seals, so gave up after about an hour. Was hoping to see a Great White attack one of them. They had shark warning signs along the beach. 

It's going to be very difficult to land a seal if you hook one while casting lures or deadsticking bait...Last year during the early spring I saw seals on the beaches of Jamaica Bay sunning themselves.... 

A few years ago they were all over race point. When you hooked up they would grab and eat the whole fish except for the head ,avoiding the lure .I lost some nice fish to those bastages

Good topic. Fishing southere ME and I'd say at this point they r around more often than not. Have had a few encounters with them up close and personal. Hooked one in a productive spring river and it launched itself out of the water barking like a baby. Last summer I had one rock itself at my feet chasing bait or schoolies. Like mentioned above, I hate when they hang around you and would say that ain't no help. But if they r around there is fish of some kind. Just a matter if they r feeding on scraps or running for their lives. I still catch fish amongst the chaos 

My problem with fishing around seals wasn't about the seals chasing off the bass, it was the seals grabbing my catch before I could beach it.  On a couple of occasions I knew the seals were quite far away when I hooked up, it took an eyeblink for them to appear and grab my fish in the first wave.  They are way faster than you might think.  Getting stripped of a fish and usually your lure sucks.  Teaching the seals to hang around fishermen for a fast meal sucks also.

I had a good runoff last fall - they really can take drag.  He finally popped my line so I was unable to land him.

I hooked into my first ever and only albie this passed fall; only to have it grabbed and swam off with by a seal while it still had my tin in its mouth. **** Seals.

20 years ago I used to go every June to the Cape fly fishing. I used to fish the end of the Cape near the light house. I only saw one seal back then. We used to wade and never heard anything about Great Whites either back then. It sounds like to today there are plenty of both. I was planning a June trip this year, are there many seals at the end of the Cape now. We would drive to the end and park in the municipal lot. We would then work our way fishing towards the lighthouse. Myself and a friend caught over 100 bass a piece one day. He actually wrote an article called "Calling Them In Like Dogs" and posted it on Striper Surf. That was some story and day fishing. We had to tape up both thumbs from lipping fish!  I was hoping for another day like that, but it sounds like things have changed.

8 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Good discussion on this topic by Pat Desmaris on WXTK 95.1 fm yesterday. One caller made an excellent point: you can abort a fetus but you can’t kill a seal. 

Anyway, it seems to be that people are starting to point fingers at great whites as the problem. This is too bad because the real problem is the seals and the damage that they do the ecosystem. As this colony goes so does their push to find food. I have seen grey seals in the Canal and in Manomet. If you see them during the day just pack up and go where they aren’t. However this may be impossible along the backside as the heard is everywhere. Your best bet is to stake out your location during the day and hit it at night. 

That's pretty brutal.

^..^