Casting A Fly (poorly)

Rate this topic

Bigfish25

18 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

>>It took me 9-10 months of solid practice to get good enough to pass an instructor's exam on SH Spey casting.)

What is single hand spey casting? It sounds like an oxymoron to me, the uninitiated.

G'day Stu,

Spey casts are a family of casts that have 2 things in common:

• A change of direction, and
  • An anchor (i.e. the cast begins with the leader touching the water.)

They can be classified as a dynamic roll cast with a change of direction. (A straight dynamic roll cast is not a Spey cast but it's normally taught as the first step in learning the rest of the casts.) I love using them because they are fun, but they are also a requirement in some situations, such cast casting with limited back cast room or when immediate changes of direction are required. They work when there is a terrible tailwind, too.

All of these casts can be made with a single hand rod or a double hand rod. "SH Spey" is spey casting is done with a standard fly rod and can involve a haul with the line hand (which obviously can't be done with the DH rod.)

Double handed rods can also be cast overhead and they can throw a lot of line if required.

Cheers,

Graeme

Edited by Hirdy

FFi Certified Casting Instructor

• 8 months later...

Eight months later and I'm just now seeing the last set of replies. Just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful advice in this thread. One of my problems is that I keep catching fish, even with my ongoing poor casting habits. Since this thread died off last Feb, I've landed both stripers and coho on my 6w switch rig, up to 30"/10lb. As they say back home... even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. 

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.