The Riddler

Pelican Catch 130 Hydryve Pedal Kayak

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, this is Jacques in Product Management at Pelican. I'd be happy to answer questions you might have about the Catch 130 Hydryve - to the best of my knowledge anyhow.

For starters here are some responses to previous comments:

1. Failure on the drive video: Yep, it broke. We are still investigating the issue. We have tested the drive with up to 700lbs of torque (please DON'T try this at home!!!) without failure on production samples so this may be a one time issue on an early production run. In any case, we have shipped a replacement drive to the owner and he has kindly provided an update on his Youtube channel. I can assure you that we will promptly replace any failed drive due to a manufacturing error that customers will bring to our attention.

2. MSRP: The MSRP on the Catch 130 HD is $1,499.99 USD and in Canada it's $1,999,99 CDN.

3. Seat position: The seat position is balanced. If it looks like it's a bit towards the back, this is because of the tunnel hull design: Because of its shape, there is extra buoyancy at the back of the boat.

4. Weight: The weight of the Catch 130 HD is 85lbs without the drive and seat.

5. Manufacturing process: We produce our own high molecular weight triple layer polyethylene (HDPI) sheets. Two sheets are thermoformed and fused together with a J shaped joint that is actually thicker, stiffer and stronger than the rest of the kayak and provides extra rigidity to the boat. In addition, our process allows us to sandwich extra buoyancy foam blocks inside the kayak and thus easily meet or surpass ABYC Standards. We are sufficiently confident in our process that we offer a limited lifetime warranty on the deck and hull of the kayak.

6. Hull design. Here are a couple of pictures I just took. Notice twin hull design and the J shaped joint where the deck and hull are fused together.

Rear view:

pelican.jpg

Front view:

pelican2.jpg

Here's a cut-out showing the J joint where the 2 sheets are fused together:

J joint.JPG

7. The black casing for the drive: It comes in two parts and each can be ordered separately by contacting our customer service. Replacement cost is $75.99 for the top piece and $44.99 for the bottom piece, shipping included (excluding Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico). 

8. Can the Hobie drive be used in the Catch 130HD? What I can say is that the Catch 130HD was not designed to support any other drive system than our own Hydryve.

Hope this helps!

Jacques

Edited by TimS
Please don't post links or commercial contact info - thanks :-)

Jacques, thank you very much for coming to the kayak forum here and answering questions.

Thank you for showing us the underside. Will there be any future plan to include a recessed area to accommodate transducers?

16 hours ago, Jacques Lamontagne said:

Hi, this is Jacques in Product Management at Pelican. I'd be happy to answer questions you might have about the Catch 130 Hydryve - to the best of my knowledge anyhow.

For starters here are some responses to previous comments:

1. Failure on the drive video: Yep, it broke. We are still investigating the issue. We have tested the drive with up to 700lbs of torque (please DON'T try this at home!!!) without failure on production samples so this may be a one time issue on an early production run. In any case, we have shipped a replacement drive to the owner and he has kindly provided an update on his Youtube channel. I can assure you that we will promptly replace any failed drive due to a manufacturing error that customers will bring to our attention.

2. MSRP: The MSRP on the Catch 130 HD is $1,499.99 USD and in Canada it's $1,999,99 CDN.

Jacques

Much appreciated the responses ... and good to know Pelican has a finger on the pulse of the consumers.

Perhaps I misread the price at Dick's ... they wouldn't be marking up from MSRP, would they?

16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Jacques, thank you very much for coming to the kayak forum here and answering questions.

Thank you for showing us the underside. Will there be any future plan to include a recessed area to accommodate transducers?

Hello,

Right now, the scupper hole in the middle of the boat is protected by the tunnel hull shape and you can safely install your transducer there. 

Jacques

130 HD hull.GIF

16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Jacque, will there be extended "Turbo" fins  available for the Hydrive?

Hi,

There are currently no plans to develop other types of fins for the Hydryve. Our focus right now is on ensuring that the current product is top notch.

Jacques

On 06/03/2019 at 4:56 PM, Jacques Lamontagne said:

4. Weight: The weight of the Catch 130 HD is 85lbs without the drive and seat.

Hello,

I have just received updated information regarding the weight of the Catch 130 HD. The weight of the boat without seat or drive is 79.4 lbs. The seat weighs 5.2 lbs and the hydryve unit weighs 7.2 lbs.

Hope this helps!

Jacques at Pelican

Awesome info. Trandsducer placement is one my my top concerns as i hate having mine hang over the side. The drag makes me crazy so little as it may be. @ $1500 this is serious competition and great for the market. I am considering the perception pilot, this, and a compass as well as perhaps a used older hobie. Thank you for the info and keeping consumers ‘in the loop”!

This guy is a nut...if he took longer strokes he may do better with speed....right now it's tiny strokes he's taking and he makes it look comical...but the video shows some good shots on what to expect with this Hydrive.

Just took mine out for the first time, a 2/3rd stroke definitely seems to work better than a full stroke. Super windy day though with a 1 foot chop and an opposing current so kind of hard to tell what was working best lol. Yak feels good though and definitely held up in the chop while getting waked by a boat at the same time... boats...

1 hour ago, Nuzzy said:

Just took mine out for the first time, a 2/3rd stroke definitely seems to work better than a full stroke. Super windy day though with a 1 foot chop and an opposing current so kind of hard to tell what was working best lol. Yak feels good though and definitely held up in the chop while getting waked by a boat at the same time... boats...

Anything coming over the bow ? 

Nada, the kayak is very dry. Like others said, the seat is kinda far back but I like that honestly. I'm 5'10" and have to use the second to closest setting but I was lazy drifting back to the launch the other day and it was nice to relax the seat and stretch out. Definitely would be nice for taller people. *

Edited by TimS
We don’t promote social media channels here - thank you for your understanding.

On use of Hobie MD: yes it fits and yes it works 100% (watch Aliex on tubes).

Speed difference between Pelicans' "own" drive and MD180 is negligible IMEO (.4 miles ) .  You're not gonna gun that thing for more than 5 secs  - only if challenged by a Hobie owner to a race. 

For me, 2 minor annoyances.

#1 - lack of larger rectangular hatch. But, it looks like the ridge behind the seat could accommodate such hatch ? That's where I store my batteries - being low, they improve stability and remain dry.

#2 cart scupper holes.  I am so used to flipping me PA14 onto its side, inserting the cart and I am off to the races. But, it seems I am the only guy that never had any issues with scupper holes developing cracks etc. 

Potentially a very big plus: the modular drive plug system. If somehow it could be made to accommodate BOTH the drive AND a common size 30# thrust trolling motor head, be yuuuge!

While on it, does Watersnake ASP fit through that opening (the only motor that fits through Hobie's own MD opening, w/o any fuss) ?

Bottom line: if (when) me 5YO PA14 quits on me, will be a hard choice between  $2K Compass and $1500 Pelican. As I age, PA12/PA14 will probably be out of consideration.

Edited by r111

The most common issue I read and hear in review video's or posts is the seat is set too far back.