Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RKG1

Lure Weight vs. Sinker weight

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

On the RodGeeks website they rate their X-Comp rods with a lure weight rating and a sinker weight rating.  For example XC 732 is rated for lures 3/4 to 2 oz and sinkers 2 - 8 oz.  I am not familiar with this duo rating, particularly the sinker rating.  Is this unique to these composite rods?  It seems odd to me that a rod rated for 2 to 8 oz for sinkers (heavy?) is also suitable for light lure casting?  I see other XC rods that have much heavier sinker ratings, so maybe the 2-8 oz sinker rating is not as heavy as it seems to me from those numbers?

Any help with interpreting these ratings is appreciated. 

I can see why a manufacturer would list both. It is dependent on how you use the rod.

With the lure weight rating, you are rating the amount of weight you need to effectively load the rod and cast. Too little weight, the rod might not load enough, too much weight, you can overload the rod and it might not cast properly, or even worse it can break.

With sinker ratings, its more for those who just drop a sinker, lets say from a pier or a boat to bottom fish. You don't really cast but that rating is there to show to show how effective a rod is in working whatever you have tied on, such as the vertical movement of a jig.

What's one to do when bored?

The rod throws 2 but not far. It throws 8 and won't break.

Does the rod fully load at 2 ounces?

Does the rod recover and snap back into

place on the follow through with the 8?

What's the sweet spot in the rod?

Try it conventional. Try it spinning.

I designed the rods (as far as length, power, action goes), and I rated each of the rods for Rodgeeks. The dual rating is unique because I wanted people who fished the rods to knwo what the blanks are rated for depending on how they fish. I know it's confusing to have a rod that is rated like this because no other manufacturer does it.

There is nothing to interpret, the ratings are accurate.

billy, rods should have at least 5 ratings, for each section and along the length

and they are going to have, eventualy

you are on the right track

Excuse me! Mr. Billy sir. from Rod Greeks.

I tossed the stick to the dog and he retrieved it.

Then I tossed the frisbee.

I said to myself. "That was far fetched" ;)

9 hours ago, pinoyesv6 said:

With sinker ratings, its more for those who just drop a sinker, lets say from a pier or a boat to bottom fish. You don't really cast but that rating is there to show to show how effective a rod is in working whatever you have tied on, such as the vertical movement of a jig.

So then this is correct, the sinker rating is not for casting that sinker weight, but more or less jigging or drop fishing that weight.  If so then that makes sense to me.

2 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

Excuse me! Mr. Billy sir. from Rod Greeks.

So there is no confusion, I am NOT part of Rodgeeks in any way shape or form. We worked on a project together to develop the XC line of blanks.

18 hours ago, glos said:

billy, rods should have at least 5 ratings, for each section and along the length

and they are going to have, eventualy

you are on the right track

That's ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

That's ridiculous. 

no, its like with cars, which have torque and horse power, and volume of the cilinders, and so on

its ridiculous only to the novice or amateurs

40 mins ago, glos said:

no, its like with cars, which have torque and horse power, and volume of the cilinders, and so on

its ridiculous only to the novice or amateurs

your a moron. you are comparing a blank to a combustion engine. unless you plan on fishing 1/4 , 1/2 , 3/4 of the rod what would those rating matter. that stupid even for you

I`m saying how for most people that engine is just an engine, but for few there are loads of extra information that matters

On 2/11/2019 at 2:07 AM, glos said:

rods should have at least 5 ratings,

Please list your favorite blank, and re-rate it into 6 sub-ratings. Not general, please be very specific as if you were the manufacturer rating that blank

1 hour ago, glos said:

I`m saying how for most people that engine is just an engine, but for few there are loads of extra information that matters

Rodgeeks should hire you

1 hour ago, Billy 40 said:

Please list your favorite blank, and re-rate it into 6 sub-ratings. Not general, please be very specific as if you were the manufacturer rating that blank

cant, would have to think thorougly about the terms and explanations, but I know what I feel, and its always diferent from rod to rod manufacturer, even if they all have same, say, cw, or action.. and length

which means there are huge gaps in the proclaimed and expected, fact

we just lack common "language" and details in those areas, that we all understand.

Edited by glos