Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55555s

M&P 15-22 rimfire legal in NJ?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Same rules for rimfire as for centerfire?  I want to say yes, but figured I'd ask here first.

Does Smith make a NJ legal M&P 15-22?

thanks in advance.

I had one. It was a fun little toy but cleaning it was a pain. You will have to clean it often and shoot cleanest rimfire ammo you can find or it will jam. Surprisingly pretty accurate out of the box.

I have one, daughter loves shooting it.

Not really that bad to clean and never had a jam with mine.

If you already have an AR just buy the 22 conversion kit. Comes with a 22 magazine, a 22lr bolt carrier group. Turns your 5.56/.223 AR into a 22lr rimfire in seconds.  They usually cost less than. $200. 

53 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

If you already have an AR just buy the 22 conversion kit. Comes with a 22 magazine, a 22lr bolt carrier group. Turns your 5.56/.223 AR into a 22lr rimfire in seconds.  They usually cost less than. $200. 

This idea sounds good enough that I had to look up some information.  CMMG Stainless Steel Conversion kit  at Midway is only $149 (single 25rd magazine).  Reviews are bad ass even from folks that don't like it...

1 hour ago, mako20ft said:

This idea sounds good enough that I had to look up some information.  CMMG Stainless Steel Conversion kit  at Midway is only $149 (single 25rd magazine).  Reviews are bad ass even from folks that don't like it...

They sell one with a 10 round mag for those (me) that live in NJ. 

You're not going to get pinpoint accuracy but kids like it and it's much cheaper on the ammo bill.  Lol. 

21 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

but kids like it and it's much cheaper on the ammo bill.  Lol. 

2 doors over my neighbor has a 9 and 11yr old.  He's taken them with me to shoot my 22LR revolver and are just wide eyed with the fun.  If I could safely (well, if their Dad could safely) let them handle the AR with 22's I think that would just be a hoot.

48 mins ago, mako20ft said:

2 doors over my neighbor has a 9 and 11yr old.  He's taken them with me to shoot my 22LR revolver and are just wide eyed with the fun.  If I could safely (well, if their Dad could safely) let them handle the AR with 22's I think that would just be a hoot.

I got 2 boys. 14 and 11. They can burn thru some ammo.  Lol. 

Sons are enjoying burning ammo out of lever and bolts i have.  Was thinking 12 y/o boy gets a 10/22 for b day, and then remembered these things...  

May look into 22 conversion.  Isnt 22rf different bore diameter from 223?

2 mins ago, 55555s said:

Sons are enjoying burning ammo out of lever and bolts i have.  Was thinking 12 y/o boy gets a 10/22 for b day, and then remembered these things...  

May look into 22 conversion.  Isnt 22rf different bore diameter from 223?

Yeah I have a 10/22, a Savage bolt gun in 17, and a couple 22 single shots. Boys love em. 

Yes the 22 barrels are different.  Without getting too technical you can shoot 22lr in a 5.56/.223 barrel but cannot shoot .223 in a 22lr barrel. 

Has a lot to do with pressures as well as most 22lr guns/actions cannot handle 5.56/.223 pressure. That could be catastrophic. 

59 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Yeah I have a 10/22, a Savage bolt gun in 17, and a couple 22 single shots. Boys love em. 

Yes the 22 barrels are different.  Without getting too technical you can shoot 22lr in a 5.56/.223 barrel but cannot shoot .223 in a 22lr barrel. 

Has a lot to do with pressures as well as most 22lr guns/actions cannot handle 5.56/.223 pressure. That could be catastrophic. 

.17 Marlin bolt is a blast. .17 HMR savage A17 might actually be legal in NY with >10 round mag. Rim fire with no pistol grip. 

7 hours ago, mako20ft said:

I have a sig 522 that is a ton of fun to ping steel plates.  Nj legal out of the box.  

On 2/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, ted527 said:

I have one, daughter loves shooting it.

Not really that bad to clean and never had a jam with mine.

This has been my experience too. Not finicky about ammo either.