yosco

Kingfish

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, yosco said:

Cant comment on the others. The BW flavor has worked

so well I've never tried switching it up.

Same for me.  Haven't had a need to try the others.

I never find northern kings to be a picky eaters. It's frozen shrimp section and small squid pieces for me.  If they are there, you'll know. They hit like freight trains, tiny freight trains. 

Definitely one of those fish that is underwhelming once you get em in.  Not what you expect after the initial hit and hookup.  But on light gear they are a lot of fun. 

Spend a lot of time fishing outfront from corsons to townsends... have had luck in many different spots using both bloods and the fishbites.  different stages of the tide can effect where they are located in the surf zone once you figure it out they are usually in packs so pay attention to where your bait got hit.

Similar to Wampire, I fish for them during the day and use them for shark bait at night.  Never really had luck catching them at night to use for fresh live lined baits.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, fishless said:

Somebody mentioned Fishbites, I did well with them on Labor Day wknd a couple of yrs back in MoCo.  Last year they were back again.  Buddy did well with the same offering but I cldnt get there to jump in on the action. 

Small shrimp or a piece of fresh shrimp on the hook and then a small piece of fishbite to hold the shrim;p on.  Works well.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, jackson515 said:

Yeah I usually try to get a pack of them and just keep them in my bag for the season. They work really well for small stuff (I even caught a decent triggerfish on one), but the water needs to be warm for them to be productive.

They dry out quick but even dried out I've caught on them in the past.

37 mins ago, Sheisty said:

They dry out quick but even dried out I've caught on them in the past.

As long as I don't put any wet ones back in the bag, and make sure it is fully sealed, I have not had any problems with em drying out. Butttt if you leave em on the hook after using em, you might as well throw out your hook.

In some big box stores they are brittle in the unopened OEM packaging, sometimes they have already lost their pink coloring as well.

Usually a sign of old stock. Either I leave whats on the hook or use a multi tool to cut it off. I never use more than a 1 inch cut. A 1 inch cut lasts a fairly long time, and is good for multiple fish.

1 hour ago, Goudacuda said:

how big are these things, never caught them up here in ny 

Not big but decent fight for their size.  10-14 inches 0.5-1.5 pounds.  

With fishbites I buy a couple bags early in the season. I precut all my pieces. Usually right around 1". Maybe a little bit longer. And yes make sure bag is closed when done. Do not put any used pieces back in the bag.